Parents Does anyone take pictures of their gymnast?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

GymMomK

Proud Parent
I've searched around on CB a bit, but didn't find a lot. If there is a better place to post or thread for picture-taking, please accept my apologies.

I love taking pictures, but I really have soooo much to learn! I have a Canon 60D and a 70-200 f2.8 lens that I use for gymnastics. I pretty much just take pictures of my dd and her teammates. I enjoy it and so do the other families :)

I'm always looking for help and tips!

I take pictures of my kid, period. So that would include gymnastics.

At meets I shoot with my Nikon D5100 on continuous burst/telephoto if necessary.

Once a year I pay for the professional photos at a meet. They can just get closer then I can. I pay for all the digital images. They are then mine to do with what I want. And I do my own collages.

Reactions: SMC
Well, yes, I take pictures of my kids, but taking pictures of gymnastics is a whole new ball game! ;)

I think a lot of people avoid posting their pictures here because it's so public, so that might be why you aren't finding a lot. I shoot a lot of my DD but I'm still learning what settings work best on my camera. I have done the continuous/burst mode with mixed success. Last meet I set my ISO high and my aperture low and my shutter speed fast and got some nice shots, but my lens wasn't long enough.. next meet I'm going to try those tricks with one of my longer lenses!

I sometimes do on my Nikon D7000 - it depends on how nervous I am for DD. Lense depends on the day and my mood (do I want closeups while waiting, or shots of her giggling with her teammates?). I'm still pretty novice at this (one photography class down) as well as with Photoshop.

I don't shoot continuous bursts, I just shoot individual shots, but then I do tend to have pretty good timing - my one strength :rolleyes:. When I tried it on continuous one meet, I felt like they weren't as good - like I'd get one right before she hit her handstand, and then one right after she started to come down. :)

I do usually buy a couple of professional shots each year from state meet - they just get so close to the kids, it's worth it.

What JMACAZ said. Under the "Social Groups" nav look for Gymnastics Photography 101. You will have to ask Mama Duck to be added to the group. There's some pictures in the group but it's mostly discussions on technique and tips for getting good pics. The group hasn't been very active of late, unfortunately.

What JMACAZ said. Under the "Social Groups" nav look for Gymnastics Photography 101. You will have to ask Mama Duck to be added to the group. There's some pictures in the group but it's mostly discussions on technique and tips for getting good pics. The group hasn't been very active of late, unfortunately.

Perfect, thanks!
I'm not looking for actual pictures. I'm looking for tips/techniques on taking pictures.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back