WAG excited but nervous daughter

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Busymum

Proud Parent
Hi all,
Have posted this in the 2008-2009 forum do hope it's ok to put here as well ...just hoping to get plenty of opinions ..... So my little 2009 has been doing rec for about 7 months and today the squad coaches came out and said they like the look of her (whatever that means) and would like her to do a months trial for what I assume is the step before team/squad.

I just wondered if you ladies can tell us what to expect as my daughter is so excited but nervous to .... She knows it's a trial but we're not sure what they will be looking for?

Any thoughts?

nothing that you can help her with !

seriously, they will be looking for potential, not skills so strength, flexibility, the ability to learn, listen and take instruction, metal toughness, not giving up when it gets hard.

Good luck

Great thanks she is flexible but so sure about strength. She can't do a chin up yet but can hold the position once helped in to it?

As the coach who scout for preteam.... Coachability is what I'm looking for. Natural strength and flexibility, yes please, but I want the kid who is going to focus on the coach while explaining, is going to independently follow through, take corrections well and show clear effort. I have turned down kids who were physically ready because their emotional maturity was just not there yet. Good luck!!!

The other night while the girls were coming out of practice, one of the moms openly approached the coach and asked how her Dd was progressing. the coach said loudly enough for several of the moms to clearly hear that her Dd does not take corrections and responds to all three of the coaches with, "I know what to do." the gymnast is 7 years old so remind your Dd to be open to corrections because the coaches are there to teach.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back