WAG Extra time for practice.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnast_Tor

Gymnast
Hey everyone! I have just moved up to level 3 a couple of days ago, and they're training me to start competing 4 in the fall (hopefully). I only have practice 2x a week for an HOUR each and it's really annoying me because I need more time to work on my new skills. And for anyone wondering, we don't have open gym for "insurance issues" (I don't know what that means haha). I have a coach who is willing to help me on certain days, but for a fee of 20 dollars every half hour. I don't have that money now. Any suggestions? (My gym starts team at L4 and they train 4x a week for 3 hours each practice, so u just need help to pass this level quickly) advice?

I would recommend finding out exactly what their criteria is for moving up to the next level. Do they require you to have certain skills to get there? If so, really concentrate on learning those skills. Two hours per week is not very much at that level, so you just have to make the most of the time you have.

Yeah I have a sheet of the skills. Most of them I have except for: front hip circle, 2 back handsprings (I have one) and long hang kip. My kip is pretty good, but I need to work on keeping my arms straight. I wish I had a bar at home to work on kips, but they're so darn expensive!! I just wish that I could workout more at the gym. My dream is to be a full time gymnast who works out like 20 hours a week or more! I just love this sport so much.

Try talking to the coach and tell her that you want more hours because you want to compete level 4 in the fall so you would like to train with the level 4 group, that way you could get more hours.

Ohh, are you the girl that started 6 months ago and you already have your kip?! Thats pretty good! I'm sure you could get past level 3 in no time

I work at chickfila to pay for one practice right now. My parents told me that they would pay for one and ill have to help with the rest, but as soon as I start more practices, ill have to see about work. I guess I'll cross that bridge when I get there lol.

Ohh, are you the girl that started 6 months ago and you already have your kip?! Thats pretty good! I'm sure you could get past level 3 in no time

Yes that's me!! Yeah I have been OBSESSING over conditioning at home and have gotten it. (With bent arms lol but ill keep working.) thanks for the encouragement!

Can you attend an open gym at a different gym? It might be the same cost as a private though. A private might be your best bet. It seems you get skills quickly, so 1 or 2 could really help.

It's amazing that you have your kip! I've been doing gymnastics for 9 months..and I don't have my kip yet :(
Hmm maybe there's a bar at a park or school playground close by? I know it's not the safest thing but you can consider it...

Where you asking me what level I am Tor? I'm about a level 2/3 kinda cause I have some higher level skills too

I am really impressed with your work ethic and dedication! Those traits are very important in achieving your goals in and out of the gym. First question...when do you hope to start competing 4? If you have fall compulsories, I think you would have to be training with the 4's NOW to even have a chance at a good season. If you have until January, it could be doable, given you have your kip. It sounds like your coach knows your goals, but does the coach think you can do 4 this year? Given how motivated you are, and how many skills you have already, you will probably progress really fast once you are on team and your hours are increased. Even if you can't get to 4 this year, perhaps next year you could work toward a split season (4 and 5) provided your coach is onboard. Best of luck!!! Please come back and post how you are doing!

There are a lot of advantages to being an older beginner. You can progress faster than many of the younger kids as you will be better at understanding the mechanics behind the skills as the coach explains them.

$20 for 30 minute private lesson is actually very cheap. If you can take advantage of it usually a lot of progress is made in private lessons, the same as you might make in a few weeks in a group situation. The privates are focused on you and what you need most.

once you get to team you should expect your gym fees will be much higher than $20 more a week. So if that is not affordable it might be best not to even consider team.

at home work on your flexibility and conditioning and lots of handstands.

keep a training diary and write down all the corrections your coach gives you and review them before you train so they are at the forefront of your mind.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back