WAG Fan Questions

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

purpleleomom

Proud Parent
Can someone point me to a resource or explain a few things to me?

How does a gymnast qualify to the national teams? Who goes to Worlds?

How does a gymnast qualify as Elite?

Are Olympic team members pulled from the National team? Are they always Elite?

Thanks everyone!

How does a gymnast qualify to the national teams?
The top 6 in the All Around at Championships for Juniors and Seniors.
Up to 8 additional funded slots (Junior or Senior) may be selected to the National Team based upon the needs of the National Team

Who goes to Worlds?
They have a selection process to pick the girls for the World Team. The USAG website has an entire section dedicated to Elite information.

First time qualifiers have to compete compulsory "routines" and get a minimum score AND compete Optional routines and get a minimum score.
The compulsory routines can be found on the USAG website.

Are Olympic team members pulled from the National team? USUALLY
However, a non-National team member could technically do well enough at Championships to be invited to Olympic Trials... and COULD do well enough there to make it to the Selection Camp... then COULD do well enough to make the Olympic team.

Are they always Elite? YES!

Thanks everyone! You're welcome :D

How does a gymnast qualify to the national teams? Who goes to Worlds?

Are Olympic team members pulled from the National team? Are they always Elite?

Thanks everyone!

Without too many specifics (because I don't know them :)) and simply, one has to qualify as an elite to even be considered to be a national team member. To qualify as an elite, there are a few (3 or 4) elite qualifiers throughout the year amd you have to hit the compulsory and optional qualifying score. Once you hit the scores, you are eligible to compete at elite meets, national qualifiers, I believe they are called. There are probably only 3 meets a year. These national qualifiers will qualify you to compete at the national championships ( Last year, it was the a P&G championships). I believe the top 6 at the championships are automatically named into the national team and the USAG committee is allowed to pick the rest of the team members. I am sure someone will correct me if this is not accurate.

The USAG website, USAGym.org and click on womens and then elite program will give you a lot of the answers you need.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back