WAG Fear of Giants

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

First know that you are not alone. Most gymnasts are very afraid of this skill.
Ask your coach to spot you as much as you need while you are learning this skill.
See if there are ways that allow you to do it with less stress, i.e. on the low bar, over the pit, with mats etc....
Once you find a way to do them, concentrate of form, and the corrections your coach gives you.
Make a plan to progress to the high bar, reduce spotting and eventually unspotted.

You CAN do this skill....it IS a progression. Start small and comfortable and then push yourself to add some difficulty. Don't give into your fear entirely, but dont expect to just do it either.....
Make a plan......

Where are you at with this? still on straps, or on the wood bar?

First know that you are not alone. Most gymnasts are very afraid of this skill.
Ask your coach to spot you as much as you need while you are learning this skill.
See if there are ways that allow you to do it with less stress, i.e. on the low bar, over the pit, with mats etc....
Once you find a way to do them, concentrate of form, and the corrections your coach gives you.
Make a plan to progress to the high bar, reduce spotting and eventually unspotted.

You CAN do this skill....it IS a progression. Start small and comfortable and then push yourself to add some difficulty. Don't give into your fear entirely, but dont expect to just do it either.....
Make a plan......

Where are you at with this? still on straps, or on the wood bar?

I'm doing them on the bar set with a spot. I also get scared of hitting my feet on the low bar, so I pike down, which slows my swing. I'm fine doing them with a spot on most days, but if I have to go by myself, I freak out.

Then you are not ready yet to go alone. I hope your coach understands this.....however there is a point where you must try by yourself. Only you can push to this point but it sounds as if you are mature enough to get there....
We have a few littles who are addicted to spots. They don't care that they must do it alone. They would be perfectly happy having the coach spot during meets! Lol
Can your coach teach you to straddle your giants?

I could ask my coach if I could straddle. Thanks for your help!
Then you are not ready yet to go alone. I hope your coach understands this.....however there is a point where you must try by yourself. Only you can push to this point but it sounds as if you are mature enough to get there....
We have a few littles who are addicted to spots. They don't care that they must do it alone. They would be perfectly happy having the coach spot during meets! Lol
Can your coach teach you to straddle your giants?

Straddling is what helped my daughter with her Giants. After growing 3 inches in the middle of the season she was afraid to do giants for fear of hitting feet. She started working straddles and is now doing her Giants!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back