FIG finds Dong Fangxiao guilty of age falsification

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Wow. I'm shocked. I understand that China has been pulling that whole under-age gymnast thing for a while, and nothing has been done about it, but why now? Why find HER guilty NOW? Ten years later? I know that being under-age is a HUGE deal in gymnastics, but do they really want to open that can of worms?

And why on earth did they do the 2000 Olympics, instead of the 2008 Olympics, where there is MUCH more evidence to being under-age that is still fresh with people remembering it?

It really suprises me. But even if it is wrong, I DON'T think that they should strip the under-age gymnasts of their medals. Sometimes their countries just hand them fake passports and tell them that they are 16 for the summer.

*sigh* I guess that I'll never understand the IOC, but I can't do anything about it.

-Lauren

And why on earth did they do the 2000 Olympics, instead of the 2008 Olympics, where there is MUCH more evidence to being under-age that is still fresh with people remembering it?

How can you have better evidence than Dong Fangxiao stating she was 14 on at least two occasions?

I guess with this one the FIG had to act, but I am still surprised they did.

I'm all for sussing out the truth, and glad they acted on their findings. It sends the message that the rules are serious business and evens the playing field in the future. I was under the impression that the 2008 age investigation was done, is this not the case?

I'm glad the did this. They need to cut the politics out of the Olympics and strictly enforce the rules so its a fair and level playing field. The rules say that in order to win a medal at the Olympics you have to have one of the top 3 scores *AND* be a certain age. If they were underage, they technically didn't earn the medal. Let that medal go to someone who actually obeyed the rules and rightfully deserves it.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back