Parents First time averaging

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

sally

Proud Parent
Well yesterday was my first time ever of doing averaging. I have to say it was a real eye opener to hear the judges talk. Now I know what they are saying about my dd. The thing that really caught my eye was how they were basically judging the kids while in warm up.

It is more common than not where my daughter competes, for the judges to turn away during warm-ups. Often they will turn to watch another event competing or just turn their chairs around and chat with each other.

I have worked timing at 4 different meets, and many different levels and events at those meets... Bars, Vault, Floor, Beam... Levels 4, 6, 7, 8, 9 & 10 (yes we had to work a LOT at the meets hosted by my daughter's old gym) and I have never even seen judges pay attention to the warm-up at all.

Maybe this varies by location though... Who knows.

I can agree though that the commentary from the judges sure is interesting. And it definitely doesn't always involve the skills the athlete is doing.

In my area, the judges don't pay attention at all to the warmups. They usually get up from the table. I have often thought that it may even be a requirement--that they don't watch the gymnasts warming up. Makes for a good time for a potty break.

Well, I can say that at most meets I have been to the judges do watch the warm-ups. I always wonder if it influences how they score a routine.

I watch the warm up when I am judging. At voluntary level it gives you a good idea of what to expect in the routine - it's much easier to work out any bonuses they might be aiming to achieve (in GB at least) It also helps to see whether certain skills are going to count.

At a recent compulsory competition here, I was judging beam. The requirement is for the gymnast to sit in straddle on beam, and swing their legs to squat on. A couple of gymnasts weren't doing this, and would have lost 2.5 for not attempting the skill - it was just an oversight by the coach (a costly one!). Because I had watched the warm up I was able to tell the coach and she in turn was able to quickly tell her gymnasts to do the squat on!

I've also had to tell coaches to take something out of a routine because it was being performed dangerously!

We are definitely encouraged to watch warm ups here for some of the reasons I have mentioned!

Marie what would you do if you told a coach to take a dangerous skill out and they didn't . Is there a 'dangerous' deduction you can use?

I don't know what it says in the rule book, but at one meet last year the judges told my daughter's coach that she got the "scare the crap out of the judges" deduction for her double back off bars (she pulled --nearly hit the high bar and scared the crap out of me too!)

I don't think there is 'dangerous' deduction, but there is plenty to deduct from form errors, and also other things such as on beam there is a deduction for a lack of confidence in performance. On beam, chances are a poor technique in a skill will also mean a fall so it really is in the interests of the gymnast all round!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back