Parents Foam for crash mat

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

twinklytoes9468

Coach
Proud Parent
Hi
I am a coach and also a parent.I want to buy foam and make a couple of mats to put under our home bar.Does anybody know what grade of foam would be most suitable?

Every time I see questions like that I see this.

Cringe! We have a small bar but its only for pullovers, pull-ups, and what I call playground swinging. Things they were trying to do on furniture and banisters in our house. So the mat they use is only in inch thick. :)

Hi
I am a coach and also a parent.I want to buy foam and make a couple of mats to put under our home bar.Does anybody know what grade of foam would be most suitable?

i'm reticent to answer this question cause you say you're a coach. you should know the answer to this question. you probably don't have a foam fabricator anywhere near where you live, but you can check. if you're a coach, you should know who to call in the industry to get a bun of foam.

the foam is urethane and must be a minimum of 32lb density for the application in question. the higher the number, the more firm the foam.

and we don't call them crash mats anymore. they are called "skill" cushions. it's a legal distinction.

Every time I see questions like that I see this.

bejeebuz...no mat under or in front of the bar. nice mattress in the back in the wrong place. does anyone know if this child is still living?

bejeebuz...no mat under or in front of the bar. nice mattress in the back in the wrong place. does anyone know if this child is still living?
Still alive as of July 13, 2013. She did have to take 2 years off of tumbling (not sure what happened, but I know that she was 7 years old 3 years ago and competed L7 and was training L8). After 2 years of no tumbling, her mom posted videos of her doing ROBHSBT on mats in the yard... and a standing BT too. I would love to find out the back story of what took her out for 2 years.

Probably her back.
Actually, according to her mother's YouTube page, she was not injured. She took the time off because of family circumstances... and she had moved to Level 7, but had to quit before she could compete it... so she was training L7 and L8 skills before taking time off.

In 2010, she had done TOPS testing and scored a 77.5 and a 79 (she needed a 75 to go to National Testing), but was unable to go to the National Testing.
-Not bad for someone who was one of a set of triplets and only weighed 3 lbs at birth, lol.

I get too curious, lol :)

Pretty talented little girl, very glad she wasn't hurt.

But I still think giants in the basement is taking home gym equipment way too far.

Pretty talented little girl, very glad she wasn't hurt.

But I still think giants in the basement is taking home gym equipment way too far.
I agree completely... especially since I know from other videos that she had plenty of time to work on them AT THE GYM - where they belong! ... and with a coach standing right there :)

Still alive as of July 13, 2013. She did have to take 2 years off of tumbling (not sure what happened, but I know that she was 7 years old 3 years ago and competed L7 and was training L8). After 2 years of no tumbling, her mom posted videos of her doing ROBHSBT on mats in the yard... and a standing BT too. I would love to find out the back story of what took her out for 2 years.

she probably peeled off that bar and hit the sump pump or pool table...

Not to mention the horrible habits she was getting from those giants at home..... It should read "how not to do a giant". Lets just hope her coach was able to straighten those out....

I am a coach/mom of gymnast and the only equipment we have at home is for extra conditioning, lol.

i'm reticent to answer this question cause you say you're a coach. you should know the answer to this question. you probably don't have a foam fabricator anywhere near where you live, but you can check. if you're a coach, you should know who to call in the industry to get a bun of foam.

the foam is urethane and must be a minimum of 32lb density for the application in question. the higher the number, the more firm the foam.

and we don't call them crash mats anymore. they are called "skill" cushions. it's a legal distinction.
Well strangely enough coaching courses in the uk don't include a crashmat building module! Seriously I have never come across people doing anything but buying ready made ones. But I have taken advice from the foam manufacturer and have assembled my own crash mat at 25% of the cost of a bought one.WE won't be doing any giants etc, just very basic supported moves and conditioning!It is for my young child with a disability which makes it unlikely she could take part in 'mainstream' or indeed any gymnastics class

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back