WAG forward and backward rolls on beam

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

mommyof1

Proud Parent
What is the purpose of learning forward and backward rolls on beam? Are they progressions for other skills?

My Lvl 10 dd has never, ever done either or forward or backward roll on beam. Big beam scores come from acro skills with flight. She started with cartwheels and back walkovers ending with connected back flips. No rolling on the beam for her.

My DD never did rolls on the beam either. No one in our gym has although they will play with it sometimes just to see if they can do it.

We saw them a lot in xcel competitions. My DD learned both- I guess it was just about options. Now that she doesn't do xcel anymore I doubt she will do them again, except for fun.

My DD's HC tried to get DD competing a back extension roll on the beam to connect to a BHS. My DD couldn't ever get the roll straight enough to cleanly perform the skill. That's about the only thing I can think of to try to justify a back roll on the beam.

@titanic | I do that too with my Xcel athletes. It is very important to teach them how to safely exit a handstand that tips over (never, ever do a bridge!), and it's a great way to instill confidence when inverting on the beam, and it can really help them find vertical. Plus, if the kid gets really good at it, they can put it in their routine as an actual skill.

As far as normal forward rolls on beam, I always teach those in tandem with handstands to my new athletes. I think it's a good foundational skill they should learn, even if they never really use it in a routine or get super good at it. As for backward rolls, I have just dabbled with them here and there for fun.

We see a lot of rolls in low optionals for the acro and backwards acro requirements.
I personally don't like rolls, I think they hurt even when performed right. There's a free roll in one of our new compulsory routines, I'm really not looking forward to teaching that.
@the coaches who teach rolls: How do you avoid the part where the athlete goes sideways and scrapes her entire side open?

They are fun!

We teach these skills not to compete but purely because they are great fun to do and achieve!

My kids do forward rolls. They are a progression for forwards inversion on beam. You would be surprised at how many kids are scared to even do a pike stand and tip over forwards - yet they are expected to do a vertical handstand on beam.

Then they progress to handstand hold forward roll. We generally use pads on the beam.

Also, despite the replies in this thread, this is not uncommon at all. This is addressed in the level 3/4 compulsory beam drills at every USAG Congress and is part of Tom Koll's drills for the compulsory routines.

Backwards roll is more uncommon because you either have to a back shoulder roll (eh, not really the same) or something that is probably harder than a back tuck.

I am pretty sure that I saw some no hand forward rolls at the L9 state meet this year. It was to cover the requirement for a forward/sideways skill.

Seen a lot in lower level modified optionals over here, yes. I teach forward rolls (and handstand forward rolls) for the same reason Aero does, to minimize the fear of falling over.

The no hand forward roll however is the bain of my existence.

My DD (6) did a backward shoulder roll for xcel bronze this past season. She was dealing with fear issues and wasn't scoring well with her handstand so the coach found an alternate skill for her to compete. Having success doing the roll built her confidence on beam and she is now landing her cartwheel and BWO's and the cartwheel is no big deal. So for us is was mostly a confidence builder.

Sent from my iPhone using ChalkBucket

Not needed but they do look cool in combinations such as these.

I love the first routine! The back extension rolls do look very cool.

My daughter is working on handstand forward rolls and backward rolls with her head hanging sideways off the beam--what I assume is a "back shoulder roll." That one just looks painful.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back