Parents Fractured patella

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

rosettasmom

Proud Parent
Anyone have any experience? My level 4 daughter just fractured hers and I'm wondering if anyone had any insight?

I don't have experience with the injury. Just want to say sorry your little is broken. Hope she heals quickly.

the actual patella? or the growth plate there? There are 2 girls (not mine) at our gym who've had a fractured growth plate on/near the patella. Causes a lot of pain and they don't seem to get relief from much. One really liked kino tape, the other has been using a brace. One just gave up and "retired" after L4 because nothing seemed to help the pain. The other is trying to find a way...

The actual patella. She's in an immobilizer leg brace and on crutches now, ortho says 4-6 weeks. DD says it actually doesn't really hurt that badly though. At first of course it was excruciating as any broken bone would be, but as the days go by its less and less.

I fractured mine my senior year.
The biggest predictor is direction...a vertical fracture heals relatively quickly and carries less risk of complication.
A horizontal fracture disrupts the terminal quad tendon (patellar tendon) so the quad no longer is connected across the knee. This makes the body pull the two healing pieces apart -usually 6-8 weeks in a cast of it stays approximated. If not survery for a screw.
Mine was horizontal but it healed well. Missed my sr varsity season since I broke it in late November. I was back for the first winter guard show in late January.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back