front handspring help...

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

shadow

Coach
i have a few level 5's who cant get their feet together in the front handspring. as a result, they end up doing a handspring step out. i have them doing drills that make them stretch before the put their hands down and blocking drills. Some of them end up whipping to stand up and land in a squat. is this part of the problem of not getting their feet together or is it something totally different?

I need help with that too! I always split my legs!
Sorry I can't help, I just wanna say that I have the same problem myself.
You tried the handspring from a high mat, right?

yes we have. the problem seems to be not enough after flight or something. actually i don't know what it is..

lack of flexibility in the uppershoulders=forcing hands to separate farther than they should when placed on the floor=forcing chin/head in instead of staying back looking at where their hands are=body finds it necessary to separate the legs to shorten the body so that it may get to the feet.

you must practice lots of handstand limbers that conclude with the child coming to a stand. a front handspring in very slow motion if you will. here you can break down the components and talk them thru it whilst they are performing in very slow motion. :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back