Parents Frustrated not sure how to handle...

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Not a level 3 expert which is why I posted the actual routines. My points was that a mill circle can be gotten around. It is for sure not required in level 2. And as there is some flexibility in skills it is possible that gyms chose different paths. So while a child may look like they don't have the skills they may because they just might be different.

When I do hear of L3s doing kips at meets, they tend to not do mill circles.
The mill circle is a required skill in the USAG level 2 bar routine. And a mill circle is still a required part of the level 3 bar routine, even if a kip is performed. I can't speak to what you have "heard" or what gyms "tend to do", as some gyms will let girls compete without required skills and take the deduction. There are also parts of the country that set up their own routines under an AAU or YMCA system, I am only speaking to the USAG compulsory routine text.

So many variables in this sport.....
I overheard coach the other day talking to another coach about a very young girl who just finished L4 and they basically said her next real meet she will do L7. I truly hope so, she is very naturally gifted, but the reality is there are so many factors.
Fear, injury, fear, mental blocks, fear, stuck on a silly skill....and did I mention fear??

******disclaimer******* Placement is no guarantee of future performance.

Only the child is, (and to a lesser degree, HOW you guide your DD's attitude)

The mill circle is a required skill in the USAG level 2 bar routine. And a mill circle is still a required part of the level 3 bar routine, even if a kip is performed. I can't speak to what you have "heard" or what gyms "tend to do", as some gyms will let girls compete without required skills and take the deduction. There are also parts of the country that set up their own routines under an AAU or YMCA system, I am only speaking to the USAG compulsory routine text.
According me to that usag .pdf the mill can be subbed for that other skill depicted. I'm just saying, check the reference.

In the 2013-17 routines, a basket swing is allowed in place of the mill circle in both level 2 and 3.

However, as much as I dislike the mill circle, the basket swing usually looks awkward and breaks the continuity/rhythm of the routine. I have seen it done on occasion, but it always looks choppy.

No it is not required and definitely not in L2 (I did not see one gym in all our meets compete it including at states, USAG JO) and there are options in L3 as well (although that is what every one did at our meets including states also USAG JO)

Again, right off the USAG website, and that is not me just guessing or speaking second hand.

https://usagym.org/PDFs/Women/Junior Olympics/compulsory/illustratedroutines_feb14.pdf

No it is not required and definitely not in L2 (I did not see one gym in all our meets compete it including at states, USAG JO) and there are options in L3 as well (although every one did mill circles at our L3 meets including states also USAG JO)

Again, right off the USAG website, and that is not me just guessing or speaking second hand.

https://usagym.org/PDFs/Women/Junior Olympics/compulsory/illustratedroutines_feb14.pdf

Lol, this thread is a mess you guys. You can do a basket swing instead of a mill circle in level 2. You can even bend your knee. You can do a basket swing instead of a mill circle in level 3. It has nothing to do with how you mount (kip or pullover). You can't bend your knee, so you usually have to do it like a drop kip, but with one leg on top of the bar. I have yet to see an actually human perform it like it's shown in those illustrations, but the closed leg technique is okay. I have seen that twice in the last three years. Kips I see all the time for better or for worse. So I have to disagree that when kids do a kip mount they "tend" not to do a mill circle. We've been coaching mill circles for decades in the US. I competed a mill circle. So most coaches just teach the mill circle.

So the bottom line is if you do a kip it's only a substitute for a glide swing pullover, that's it. Nothing to do with the rest of the routine. AAU has different routines and substitutions than USAG, they can even jump to high bar.

Gymdog, I don't know much but I know for sure a mill circle is not required in L2, the rest I defer to you and the option on the USAG site. :D

You are correct, a mill circle is not required. However, it MUST be replaced by a basket swing. There is no option to skip the mill circle without the specific replacement skill.

I have never seen a basket swing performed in competition.

This pertains to levels 2 and 3.

You are correct, a mill circle is not required. However, it MUST be replaced by a basket swing. There is no option to skip the mill circle without the specific replacement skill.

Again never saw a mill circle in L2. Only a mill circle in L3. This included States. Just our state/area.

If you were watching L2 meets before the levels changed that makes sense. Old L2 didn't require a mill circle (now L1). The change happened in the fall of 2013.

If you were watching L2 meets before the levels changed that makes sense. Old L2 didn't require a mill circle (now L1). The change happened in the fall of 2013.
No it was new level 2. No mill circle. It is not required L2

There are two different choices in the level 3 bar routine. You can do pullover OR kip, then you can do stride(mill) circle OR basket swing. You can't substitute the kip for the mill circle.

Perhaps you could clarify. On the one hand you say its not required and then you say it is. Which is it.

Actually its your first statement, as per the USAG site, gymdog and some others.

I think she was saying that even if you do the kip in level 3 you still must do the mill circle. The basket swing can replace the mill circle but the kip cannot.

I think she was saying that even if you do the kip in level 3 you still must do the mill circle. The basket swing can replace the mill circle but the kip cannot.
Yes the kip doesn't replace the mill circle has been clarified.

And the mill circle is not required has also been clarified

Perhaps you could clarify. On the one hand you say its not required and then you say it is. Which is it.

Actually its your first statement, as per the USAG site, gymdog and some others.
Yep, my first statement was more clear, my second statement should have said mill circle or basket swing are required in both the level 2 and 3 routines according to text. Neither of these have anything to do with the kip and are shown in the illustration from USAG you have posted.

Starting to see more basket swings in my area, especially at level 2.

I just you tubed basket swing as I have no idea what it is. Think I found it, it's sort of like a drop kip? It looks hard! Not sure my L6 DD could even do it!!

My level 2 gymmie is doing the basket swing this year in place of the mill circle. I haven't seen it done yet but her coach asked us to send in leg warmers to protect the backs of her knees while they're learning it.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back