Parents Frustrated not sure how to handle...

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I just youtubed a basket swing too - so it's like a kip drop w/ the bar inbetween your legs in the same way they are in a mill circle? Looks hard and dangerous at the same time. Wish they'd just take all these moves w/ the split legs out of the compulsory routines - they look sloppy on the majority of gymnasts and I don't understand how they are a progression to anything.

I bet most level 8's and up couldn't do a mill circle if you gave them several attempts and a prize of no conditioning for a week if they do one ;).

I just youtubed a basket swing too - so it's like a kip drop w/ the bar inbetween your legs in the same way they are in a mill circle? Looks hard and dangerous at the same time. Wish they'd just take all these moves w/ the split legs out of the compulsory routines - they look sloppy on the majority of gymnasts and I don't understand how they are a progression to anything.

I bet most level 8's and up couldn't do a mill circle if you gave them several attempts and a prize of no conditioning for a week if they do one ;).

Right! We don't preform them in Australia so my DD has never learned them, but I've always thought they look a little ridiculous... But then again we don't exactly have a nation of great gymnasts so maybe there is something to it.....

Starting to see more basket swings in my area, especially at level 2.

Level 2 you can bend your knee (supplemental support on leg). It's extremely easy. I have preschoolers who can do it :)

Level 3 basket with straight leg technique is much harder than either the level 2 basket or the mill circle, really. I have taught it. But ultimately we got more deductions because even with use of a kipping technique (primarily arms) we still had more leg form issues.

Still, I find it odd that someone at a USAG level 2 meet would see "no" mill circles. That doesn't jive with my experience. I see a whoooole lot of spotted mill circles (and this is in YouTube videos of a lot of different places. We barely have level 2 in my state. I certainly don't coach it formally so I've never been to a level 2 meet).

Alternate level 3

But back on topic, I think that what happened at your gym is that they probably divided the girls by a few skills. My guess would possibly be a roundoff back handspring or having a standing back handspring by themselves. But I think that a month or two of basics won't hurt if you want to stay with this gym for this season. But since it sounds like you don't plan to stay there long term, I have to say the earlier you go to the gym you plan to go to, it's probably for the better for everyone.

Still, I find it odd that someone at a USAG level 2 meet would see "no" mill circles. That doesn't jive with my experience. I see a whoooole lot of spotted mill circles (and this is in YouTube videos of a lot of different places. We barely have level 2 in my state. I certainly don't coach it formally so I've never been to a level 2 meet).

My dd competed level 2 and 3 in region 8 and I only saw mill circles in every level 2 and 3 routine that I watched. :)

I remember when my dd's group finished level 2 (after the state meet) and they first started learning the level 3 skills. Everyone was so excited to be learning new skills and for the first couple of practices they let them try some new things and have fun. But the next month after that, it was all back to conditioning, drills and basics. They were all kind of bummed. I think they thought they would be immediately doing BHS and the like. They did work on new skills, but very slowly and deliberately and with tons of drills and progressions on the way. I think it was literally 3 months before any of them did their first real back handspring, on the floor, with a spot for example. But by the time competition season came, her team all looked really solid. I think their slower pace and hammering on the basics and conditioning really helped all of them. The difference between level 2 and level 3 for these girls was amazing. And they ALL had their skills and no one was left behind. I agree with the others who are saying just give it some more time.

Curious, coaches -- what is the progressive value in the mill circle and the basket swing? Why are mill circles in all these routines? Are they a drill for some other skill, and is that why most gyms do them? (DD is old enough that she was compulsory in the old system, and I remember seeing all the mill circles in the then-L4 routines. Her gym did not compete old L4 and does not compete new L3, so happily we missed that fun.)

I did not. We did privates this week and she actually got a new skill! Her front hip circle and she almost had her round off back handspring.
I was impressed watching her and what a difference in the last week or so.
Afterwards her coach told me she meant to tell me that she is very proud of how hard my dd is working during practice and that she is doing a great job.
I think you ladies helped me take a step back and look at the bigger picture and that it is okay where is is practicing and that it won't matter once they compete.
She might be re working old skills but I think the giving her more strength and a stronger base to grow off.

I haven't read any further than the first page so excuse if asked and answered. Did they just put her with the short group? Maybe she's so much shorter than the other group that they would rather leave her with the short group than adjust the equip. Gymnastics isn't fair. Group training from time to time will be suboptimal for almost everyone.

No it's more the less experienced girls.
But I actually just picked up my dd and she told me her and another girl moved up and they moved two down.
She was excited because she was even demonstrating some of the skills for the girls.
I'm glad I didn't say things and let things be.

It maybe but I wasn't sure how to handle my concerns.
I don't think it matters what level of gymnastics it is I thought this was a group to ask questions and discuss all things gymnastics. As I stated before I'm newer and don't know how things are done in gymnastics or the why so I was asking because I was frustrated and wanted advice.
But thank you for the opinion on the matter

this is much discussion over a beginner instructional level of gymnastics. perspective.

Yes. Unfortunately some gyms do or die in early compulsories and if your kid doesn't look shiny enough there they end up in low hours or not well conceived programs. Top-down problem solving time.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back