MAG Future Stars?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Men's Artistic Gymnastics
So I know I have plenty of time to decide this but the owner of my gym surprised me today. My son is a level 5 nine year old in his first year competing and is dominating in all of his meets ( his last meet he swept all events with an aa of 60.5). The owner of his gym told me today that he wants him to skip level 6 and go to future stars as a level 7 next year. I was pretty taken aback by this and was pretty proud but then as I thought about it I'm not so sure I want my son jumping up so high in level and competition and see him get his butt thumped week in and week out. It is after all his first year conmpeting. Does anyone have any input on future stars? How often are the meets? Is there a lot of travel? Is it normal to jump two levels?

Future stars is not necessarily related to the competition level. It's age based. So your son would compete in the 10 year old division next year. It's on a different cycle than meets -- in DS's region they have a camp in June, a camp in September, and regionals in October, and then nationals, if they make it, is usually in November. There are some Future Stars veteran parents around, so you should be able to get a lot of information here!

DS's gym does skip levels but would tend to skip 7 rather than 6.

Our gym also tends to skip 7 for those who are older but not level 6. My DS was a 6 last competitive season and did FS as a 10 year old this fall. He was the only one who was coming off of level 6 - all the others 10 year olds in our region were coming off of level 7 so I can see why your coach would move him.

I do think 5-7 is a big jump with a lot of skills that would need to be learned but as long as you trust your coach I would follow his lead.

Our gym also tends to skip 7 for those who are older but not level 6. My DS was a 6 last competitive season and did FS as a 10 year old this fall. He was the only one who was coming off of level 6 - all the others 10 year olds in our region were coming off of level 7 so I can see why your coach would move him.

I do think 5-7 is a big jump with a lot of skills that would need to be learned but as long as you trust your coach I would follow his lead.
Do you have any more info on FS I could get from you such as cost? Where do I find the routines ( I could not find them on line)? Does my gym owner just put him in or does he try out? I would assume he would not do well if most kids are already lv 7 so with being said do you think its a bad idea? What is the travel like ( we are in region 6)? I would take any and all info for this that you have. Thanks!

So, FS varies from state to state. In our state, there is a camp, evaluation, regionals, and then nationals. Cost varies but I would guess 50-100 per meet. THere are usually only 3 meets...state/regionals/nationals. Nationals is always at the Olympic Training center in Co Springs.

In our gym, all boys work future stars from the time they are on team. As it gets closer, coach decides who is ready to compete. But I know some gyms have different workouts that cost more.

Here is what I have found for the routines: http://usagym.org/PDFs/Men/Future Stars/FutureStarsRoutines.pdf

So, FS varies from state to state. In our state, there is a camp, evaluation, regionals, and then nationals. Cost varies but I would guess 50-100 per meet. THere are usually only 3 meets...state/regionals/nationals. Nationals is always at the Olympic Training center in Co Springs.

In our gym, all boys work future stars from the time they are on team. As it gets closer, coach decides who is ready to compete. But I know some gyms have different workouts that cost more.

Here is what I have found for the routines: http://usagym.org/PDFs/Men/Future Stars/FutureStarsRoutines.pdf
this was good stuff thank you

I think our coach is going to start a FS program, if he can get the gym owner's ok. He is thinking of a couple of hours per week extra practice just for FS kids he picks out, and it will cost us a little extra. We'd also have to go to the trampoline place down the street because our gym doesn't have a decent trampoline for FS routines.

Cost can vary greatly from only travel and meet costs for you and your gymnast to extra training fees at the gym and if your gymnast makes nationals, travel fees for your coach as well. There is a huge variation in how coaches costs are handled from gym to gym. He could do level 6 or 7 and be fine since the routines are separate (with some overlaps).

My son does Future Stars. He skipped level 6 so that he was completing Level 7 as a 9 year old. He didn't start competing Future Stars until he was 10 years old. At our gym there is no extra training for Future Stars. It is just part of the workout for all gymnasts. My son is the only boy on our team who competes Future Stars. The only additional costs for us is a Regional Future Stars camp (just a 2 day camp that was about $100 + our travel expenses (drive and hotel)), Regional competition (about $70 + travel), Nationals ($100 + travel).

We opted out of the Regional camp the first year which cost my son because he just had no idea what to expect and had some issues with learning the wrong routines. So I suggest your son attend his regional camp.

My son's first year at Level 7 didn't start out great. He had to scratch floor and high-bar his first couple meets but he ended up taking 3rd all-around at States. He got his butt kicked at Regionals but that was expected so no issue for him. His 2nd year at 7 was much better. You can't move to Level 8 until you are 11 years old. My son's coach is great about reminding my son about his long term goals and not about individual meets or even seasons. I really think you should go with your coaches recommendation and prepare your son for a potentially not strong season. The Future Stars program is a wonderful program, very well run, and focuses on building the core basics that gymnasts will need to make it to the Elite level.

Good Luck!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back