WAG Georgia- what's going on there?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I doubt she'd get an SEC job but if you "fire" me, I would seek work where I could get it. So UGA basically paid Durante for the next 4 years, but not to coach. I think UGA will have a hard time filling the position with the expectations so unrealistic but if you get a golden parachute like this, it could make you consider it...

Penn St could be an option for Durante as Barbour was the AD at Cal when Durante was there...Barbour is a horror show in her own right but Durante could be a good hire for that team. A coach that Barbour made an offer to declined and Penn St can thank their lucky stars because she was as abusive as the Thompsons...so I don't know where Barbour's head is at if she would even consider replacing the nightmare that was the Thompsons with similar ilk of coach....

I don't know why those 3 were dismissed either but it seems like she was purging the roster of folks that didn't compete...and when she dumped Vaculik, who had been injured (but competed regularly the 2 years before) , she hit a nerve....and seemed to rally the Suzanne brigade to call for her head....and it was delivered...rumor is that they may be able to come back with a changing of the guard. A scholarship athlete like Vaculik has a right to appeal losing her scholarship so I imagine, heading into her Senior year, she'd do that if they don't reinstate her on the team...Georgia could still be on the hook to pay her scholarship, if she wins her appeal, even if they still don't want her as a gymnast so at least her school monies would be paid.

Dismissing kids isn't unheard of ...like Jenny Rowland at UF released Ernst last year ( and that led to Bailey Key deciding to go to Alabama over UF) then Dagen and Hiller (so far) this year...and that seems strange because one of the kids listed as "coming to Florida a year early" is Nicole Webb of NC and her results are quite moderate for a would be Gator so she has to be a walk on and would be unlikely to compete as well, so why would she do that versus keeping kids that were already there?

There are some things in NCAA that I'll never understand:rolleyes:...

I noticed that regarding Webb as well but thought maybe I was missing something. I read on another board that the 2 asked to be released but who knows.

regarding the two kids coming and leaving UF:

I'm pretty sure the girls leaving left because they wanted to compete and contribute rather than never making a lineup at Florida - especially Dagen. She was one of the top recruit, former Sr. Elite, etc. I bet she ends up somewhere in the west coast and becomes a major contributor to a smaller program. Maybe she will join her sister at Oregon State. You could also blame the situation on the whole early recruiting process - she committed many years ago as a 9th grader and came to the realization now that she won't be a major contributor at UF

Fosberg coming a year early is an absolutely correct call for her if she has all her highschool requirements (which is quite impressive given that she's been training elite all these years to graduate 1 year early.) Why risk spending another year competing training and competing level 10 or elite- if she gets had a career ending injury before november NLI, no scholarship! She made the right decision to sign her NLI now and start school early.

Webb is likely a walkon as you noted. but again, smart move if she has all her high school requirements done. With only a verbal offer to walkon to the team, you should definitely take the chance to join rather than risk injury and have your offer pulled.

I was surprised when I originally saw her posting there but it is definitely her...and I agree, her presence is a HUGE negative to taking that job. If I were being interviewed by UGA and seriously considered, my conditions would be that it's my team and not Yoculan's because if you want to keep listening to her , then hire her back. The AD there has zero backbone when it comes to Yoculan.....he did her bidding on Clark and now Durante...and those are big red flags to me.

Durante has nothing to hang her head over, although I do agree that she needed someone else for beam besides herself...but she finished no lower that 12th and made NCAAAs every year. Hopefully she moves on successfully like Jay Clark did. As they say, success is the best revenge.

I do feel bad for her daughter though..she must be in total freak out mode but hey, if I'm a program with a scholarship open,. I give her a call because her mother is now unemployed and she's a good gymnast!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back