WAG Giants and breathing.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

munchkin3

Proud Parent
So DD is starting to do 3+ giants in a row but is having a hard time because, apparently, she does not breathe when she does them.....too many Giants, she can't breathe!!!!
When do kids normally breathe? Inhale on the upswing , exhale on the downswing?

Reactions: sce
I don't know... I'm a ballerina so I say the opposite inhale on the down swing and exhale on the up. That way it's easier to maintain "hollow body". The same is true with turns inhale on the prep and exhale on the turn. Am I crazy??

If she inhales in the way up, eventually it will lead to full turns on the top of the bar. Which then, I would imagine, on the downswing in hollow body you exhale......
I never imagined this was a problem!!!!!! My DD always looked winded after her G-G-G-flyaway and I didn't know why!
I mentioned to her where it might make sense to inhale and exhale, (according to my limited yoga knowledge)........I then told her to ask dear coach...

I don't know... I'm a ballerina so I say the opposite inhale on the down swing and exhale on the up. That way it's easier to maintain "hollow body". The same is true with turns inhale on the prep and exhale on the turn. Am I crazy??

Interesting--I don't think I've ever had a ballet teacher address breathing in turns, and I've never really thought about it before. I just did some turns to see how I do it. On pirouettes, chaines, and step-up turns (lame duck) I exhale on the preparation and inhale on the turn. Thinking about it, inhaling on the turn makes me feel like I am lifting up when I hit releve, but it is contrary to the principle of exhaling on the exertion (as in pilates and weight lifting). But on pique tours, I inhale on the preparation and exhale on the turn. Go figure.

Munchkin, I am no gymnast, but I would guess that a natural place to exhale would be the part of the giant where there is maximum exertion?

Interesting--I don't think I've ever had a ballet teacher address breathing in turns, and I've never really thought about it before. I just did some turns to see how I do it. On pirouettes, chaines, and step-up turns (lame duck) I exhale on the preparation and inhale on the turn. Thinking about it, inhaling on the turn makes me feel like I am lifting up when I hit releve, but it is contrary to the principle of exhaling on the exertion (as in pilates and weight lifting). But on pique tours, I inhale on the preparation and exhale on the turn. Go figure.

Munchkin, I am no gymnast, but I would guess that a natural place to exhale would be the part of the giant where there is maximum exertion?

If you exhale during the turn I think it's easier to maintain proper body alignment.

How funny....I never would have even thought this was a 'thing'. She is trying to inhale in the handstand position as per coach. She said she trying to breath somewhere........

I think when a skill is new or difficult at first, we forget to breathe. As the skill gets more natural, breathing will come naturally. In addition, three giants in a row if performed with proper timing, should last only around 6 seconds. Perhaps, she should breath once within that sequence but not at every giant. If she is performing her giants very very slow, perhaps then she has to breathe at each giant. I know my daughter was asked to start removing her giants between skills. She sighed stating those were her breathers. I'm guessing she holds her breathe during her releases, blinds, etc and catches her breath during her giants. Having now removed the giants in between her skills, I'm not sure when she breathes. hmmmm.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back