Goal Skills?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I coach a team group that is uptraining right now and is setting goals for the summer, they dont compete USAG so their goals can be whatever they would like.

Several of them struggle on floor with backwalkovers so on beam its not safe to start working on them on beam yet, its a flexibility issue so front walkovers are tough too. The great thing about the program is they dont have to have one. They all have cartwheels and handstands and competed those last season. So I am looking for a new goal for them.

Some have worked roundoffs, and they are all working new dismounts, jumps and turns but I want to challenge them with new acro skills on beam. One has a great backhandspring so I think I work those with her, but I'm not sure what to do with the other few.

Any recommendations?

• 1 arm cartwheel
  • cartwheel down to one knee
  • HS 1/2 pirouette
  • HS variations such as stag, double stag, etc. or with variations in step down, to kneeling, swing down etc.
  • forward roll to swing through
  • HS roll to swing through
  • back shoulder roll
  • chest stand, or cartwheel across chest or shoulders

Im guessing that tick-tocks are out of the questions too.
There are the one hand catwheels, angel roll (no handed), handstand forward roll

What about working on cartwheel sets off the end of the beam for cartwheel back tuck.

The back handspring idea is good, but for the other girls what about round-offs (for those who haven't done them already)?

Also do they have nice enough front handsprings? there might be an issue there with flexibility though.

It isn't a skill, but cat leap cartwheel is a good series that may get connections depending on your scoring system.
Forward rolls and free rolls are fun, fear-free skills on beam.
Cartwheel to round off
1 hand cartwheel
Front handspring - these require some fliexibility, but much less than the walkover.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back