Parents Guess the scores?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Vault: Low to mid 8's. Bent arms on the horse.

Floor: in the 7's: She needs to crisp up the dance and be more exact. Bent legs after the FHS, and she really needs to tighten up the back extension roll.

Beam: again in the 7's. Her handstand I do not think can really be considered a level 5 handstand. It needs to be vertical and held for 2 seconds, her kicks need to be on toe and to a minimum of 90 degrees, also her scale was not held a min of 3 sec. Also her dismount was not held and control was not shown.

Did she not compete on bars???

I am not a judge, but I have been at our gym when we have have a judge come in and work with our girls and these are things that she has stressed over and over. I am a little confused about the other post that you made about having her continue to work level 5 in CO being a waste of time, there are some many areas that improvements need to be made in and she is so young. It will be so hard to move to the upper levels when the basics are not strong.

vault - 8.3
floor - 7.5
beam - 7.6
???????????????
when are you going to post her real scores?? i want to see how close i was :D

Hmmmm. Vault was a little hard to judge due to the angle it was flmed at. Not much "pop" off the table and looked archy, but again couldn't tell. Would say 8.2
Floor--steps and bent legs after the fhs, back extension roll never really hit the correct position. Little bobbles here and there.--7.5
Beam--1st meet--lots of wobbles. Didn't hit and hold the hs, didn't hold the scale, didn't hold the dismount. With more practice this will get much better. I would give it a 7.2.

For her 1st even L5 meet it wasn't bad at all. I'm sure nerves and adrenaline had her slightly off.

Our scores are based on comparisons to what we saw yesterday at the level 5 meet we went to to watch teammates, they are very tough here, especially beginning of season. DD helped me with the commentary (she is really good at it, too, must be listening at gym!!).

Vault- 8.0-8.3 Looked good for such a tiny girl!! Great run!
Beam- 7.0-7.5 Nice cartwheel; needs to hold handstand and hit vertical, scale/arabesque and dismount need to be held longer, bigger leap
Floor- 6.5-7.0 They get dinged big time on the skills here. Nice dive roll. Front handspring, back extension roll, and the leaps are the big deductions, her ROBHSBHS was very pretty. Turnout/footwork are the little things that add up, too.

As for bars, the routines we saw yesterday with no kips, were in the 5s.

For her age and time training level 5, she did great. Hopefully they will get her some meets to go to at her new gym. I don't think that it would be horrible if she had to do level 5 again next year. It builds on so many things and she could uptrain and be really ready for level 6.

I don't think that vault would be an 8 in our region - closer to a mid to high 7and possibly lower if she piked. It's hard to tell from the angle. As for floor and beam - again, I think somewhere in the low to mid 7s. It's also early in the season when scores tend to be low.

Great guesses guys!

Floor 7.1 (weird, score sheet had 6.9 from one judge and 7.8 from another, which was crossed out and had 7.4)
Vault 8.4 (second had more pop and no steps)
Beam 8.275, very generous IMO. I think nerves were worst on beam for her. She is alot cleaner and can hold the handstand for 30+ seconds. Ah, such is life.

I am very proud of her! Nerves really got the best of her but not bad for just over two months L5 training and 1 year in gymnastics. Lucky her, she will have lots of time to clean things up before she competes again!

I couldn't have guess her scores anyway...I have NO clue what those judges are thinking! lol. I just wanted to comment that I was VERY impressed with her vault, bc I have heard about sooo many girls who can't get over the table, and your dd is soooo tiny!!! She can run, too! (need to show my dd her vids so she can be encouraged!!)
Anyway, good for her! And good luck with the move and all...I'm hoping everything works out fine for you guys.

Great guesses guys!

Floor 7.1 (weird, score sheet had 6.9 from one judge and 7.8 from another, which was crossed out and had 7.4)
Beam 8.275, very generous IMO. I think nerves were worst on beam for her. She is alot cleaner and can hold the handstand for 30+ seconds. Ah, such is life.

I am very proud of her! Nerves really got the best of her but not bad for just over two months L5 training and 1 year in gymnastics. Lucky her, she will have lots of time to clean things up before she competes again!

You got to see the score sheet? That never happens here! Likely the two judges were too far apart on score (they have to be within a certain range). They discuss it and the lower scoring judge probably convinced the higher scoring judge that she missed a deduction.

Glad I didn't judge the routines--she would have scored much worse here in Minnesota--our judges are very tough when handstands arent held and routines aren't done very well. It's rare to get over a 9 here and even 8s have routines that look fantastic.

I'd give her a 10 for being so cute! As for the "real" scores - it's the 1st meet of the season and she's only 7! Just enjoy it - the road ahead is long and winding and you must enjoy these precious beginnings - really!

Great guesses guys!

I'm confused. I know you did not videotape bars, but didn't she compete in bars?

I think you said in another post she is trying to move up to level 6 and train level 7. Is that correct?

I can fix the confusion. We are moving. Were we not moving she would compete all fall @ L5. The thought @ her current gym was maybe 6 in the spring. Move on afterwards to L7.

Fast forward, we are moving. She will probably not get to compete again this fall. Her new gym does not think she needs to spend all year plus next fall working on L5. So she will move onto training L6. They don't do full seasons of 6 as the norm. The feel that the moves in the L6 bar routine do more harm than good, so they move on as soon as the score is there. So she would do maybe 1 more meet as a 5, as many as needed as a 6 and go from there.

So no, J is not going to be training L7 tomorrow. It just works out the way it does. Perhaps I was unclear in my prior posts.

My only confusion is that if J has no kips, how can she move forward to any level, when she doesn't have all the L5 skills. That kip is such a brute, I should know, it took my youngst DD two years to get it!!

Has she been evaluated by the new gym, I know our gym does a whole skills evaluation before moving up a level or into our programme. They will not let girls move to our L5 equivalent without their kips. BAby Bog had to wait for it for a whole year to get moved up.

I know how easy it is to believe what coaches tell you, but something isn't right here. J has HUGE potential, but I would worry that if she is moved ahead to training L6 when she has not yet got L5 under her belt, that she might get disillusioned and fed up of the sport.

I would think that continuing to train L5 for the year and then competing L5 in the fall next year would bring a you a much happier child, she would rock the meets for sure.

This of course is just my opinion, feel free to disregard. But she is such a lovely thing, and I can see she could do great if led along properly.

I can fix the confusion. We are moving. Were we not moving she would compete all fall @ L5. The thought @ her current gym was maybe 6 in the spring. Move on afterwards to L7.

Fast forward, we are moving. She will probably not get to compete again this fall. Her new gym does not think she needs to spend all year plus next fall working on L5. So she will move onto training L6. They don't do full seasons of 6 as the norm. The feel that the moves in the L6 bar routine do more harm than good, so they move on as soon as the score is there. So she would do maybe 1 more meet as a 5, as many as needed as a 6 and go from there.

So no, J is not going to be training L7 tomorrow. It just works out the way it does. Perhaps I was unclear in my prior posts.

I do remember you saying you are moving and so she will go to a new gym. My confusion was with the scores you gave us for the meet she just went to. There was no bars score and I was wondering why that was given all of the discussion in other threads about scratching events. So, I was just wondering if she scratched that's all. Thanks!

Bog, I think I understand more of what you mean now. You think J should not be competing L5 without the kip. Makes sense. Probably accurate. The gym made the decision and that was that.

J is absolutely adorable and she has great potential!!! I know you're not looking for advice, but I know how brutal L6 can be!!! My DD was a very successful L4 and L5. Then L6 came along and not only are the skills more difficult, but the scoring at that level can be absolutely brutal as well!!! I know the plan is for J to "score out", but that can't happen til she has the required skills, as you well know. There are 2 kips to the routine.... That long hang kip is more difficult than the kip on the low bar! I think every little gymnast deserves to feel successul in their current level and have all the required skills before moving up. Maybe the new gym will reevaluate her, and who knows... maybe she will get all those required skills very quickly. Keep us apprised of her progress!!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back