WAG Gymnast with Ocularmotor Dysfunction or eye tracking problems

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

balancing act

Proud Parent
Does anyone have a gymnast with Ocularmotor Dysfunciton/eye tracking problems? My dd is 9, level 4, and am preparing to have her evaluated. Symptoms are showing at the gym for vault and tumbling, even jumping to the high bar, but we all chalked it up to fear issues and her hesitating. It was only when I started to see a connection in her academic work that I decided there is a potential bigger issue. My first thought was that she had ADD or dyslexia, but she doesn't fit many of the criteria for these. After talking with a few other parents who have children with OMD, her school and gym struggles are making more sense to me.

Assuming she does have some form of OMD, I know that I will receive academic support, but I am not sure what this means for gymnastics. We just paid for our entire year up front. My assumption is right now if the diagnosing doctor deems gymnastics unsafe for her, then I need to use that information to seek a refund? I am hoping it will not get to that point because she will be brokenhearted.

Any insights are appreciated!

Yes! My daughter had this as well as convergence problems and "eye teaming" (the eyes working together). In her case, glasses were not helpful. She did vision therapy (I know some folks say it is sketchy, but we saw a huge improvement.) she had some issues on beam for a while. She also has ADHD and had to work extra hard, but her coaches noticed her eyes were all over the place on beam. Interestingly, never fell off once at a meet. Just wobbly. I wouldn't say your dd is doomed at all! Mine is doing great now! There is hope!

My daughter has a mild case of this. She finally started wearing her glasses to gym and vault and beam got better. Beam is still her weakness for sure but she's been competing for 5 years with no signs of stopping! :)

Does anyone have a gymnast with Ocularmotor Dysfunciton/eye tracking problems? My dd is 9, level 4, and am preparing to have her evaluated. Symptoms are showing at the gym for vault and tumbling, even jumping to the high bar, but we all chalked it up to fear issues and her hesitating. It was only when I started to see a connection in her academic work that I decided there is a potential bigger issue. My first thought was that she had ADD or dyslexia, but she doesn't fit many of the criteria for these. After talking with a few other parents who have children with OMD, her school and gym struggles are making more sense to me.

Assuming she does have some form of OMD, I know that I will receive academic support, but I am not sure what this means for gymnastics. We just paid for our entire year up front. My assumption is right now if the diagnosing doctor deems gymnastics unsafe for her, then I need to use that information to seek a refund? I am hoping it will not get to that point because she will be brokenhearted.

Any insights are appreciated!

again, see how important the integrity of the vestibular structure is so important? :)

Reactions: sce
again, see how important the integrity of the vestibular structure is so important? :)
Yep, mine will try just about any tumbling trick on the floor but when it comes to back handsprings on beam, she's apprehensive unless mats are stacked around it on the lower beam. I'm sure it's a common thing, but I swear it's at least partly the eye issue and that she's just not as confident in her ability to land it and stay on. She's just not a very fearful kid.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back