Gymnastics and the clothing issue

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Redford

Coach
Gymnast
Judge
Let's face it: gymnasts are a little bit off average in about every possible aspect.

Now I like my body, I really do. But today on my mission to get a new T-Shirt I was quite close to shooting myself.
Either they're so tight around the shoulders you can barely lift your arms anymore or they're comortable up there but your waist would fit in twice and all in all you look like a poltergeist. If you look for something to emphazize your broad shoulders you can go for a top but as for me I tend to look akwardly masculine in those. I wont even start talking about long sleeved stuff...
Same with the jeans, only worse. Too muscular for the smaller size however not enough hips for the bigger one...

I would like to hear from other gymnasts, especially the older ones, how they experience the problem. Do you prefer certain brands?

I love forever 21 jeans and American eagles jeggings, also I try to wear button up shirts that are a little loose, but not loose enough for it to fall off, plain shirts normally fit me but the sleeves are a little small sometimes but it's life.... Ae has really good regular thirst too

Since I didn't start gymnastics early, I actually have a semi-normal body. For me, I like old navy slim jeans, and shirts are never a problem, except when it clings to my stomach (apparently gymnasts are supposed to have really good abs, but on me they don't show yet).

For t-shirts, buy the size that is comfortable on your arms and tailor it to fit the rest... works best on tops that don't have anything on the sides.

Turn the top inside out and use clothes pins or something to cinch the sides in (or have somebody put straight pins in it... then follow just outside the pins with a marker - both front and back on the left and right... then remove the pins so you can safely take the shirt off.) Put the pins back in. Using the marker line as a guide... take a meter stick and make sure the line is straight - straighten it out if not. It does not have to be straight compared to the original seams, but straight along where it fit you (really narrow waist and angled up to where the arm hole seam is would be good).

Using the line as the outside guide for your zipper foot on the sewing machine, sew up each side... remember not to sew the arm hole closed, so stop there. You can do a straight stitch or a tight zig zag stitch (I usually do a straight stitch because its easier). Then cut off the excess, allowing a little to remain (you can always add a second line of stitching after folding the excess over on each side. It makes for a nicer inside seam.)
If you can't use a sewing machine, get a friend or family member to do it or take it to a seamstress (last resort due to price). OR just sew it up by hand. I have altered numerous tops to fit and I usually do it by hand because my sewing machine isn't reliable. 4 years later, I am still wearing the shirts :)

There are also YouTube videos on the subject that do it different ways.

Hope this helps.

I don't have a typical gymnasts body at all, but have trouble fitting clothes for other reasons. I always look for clothes that have some stretch in them (look for lycra/spandex/elastane). They look better and are much more comfortable. I prefer knit fabrics to woven for the same reason.

The only thing for me is my muscular thighs, which I've had since birth, haha! My fav jeans are the rock star super skinny by old navy! They're so comfortable for me and they stretch (which accommodate the muscle and the hip) unlike other brands. Plus they come in a bajillion colors! And for shirts, I don't have the most muscular abs or arms, but my friend that is elite wears a lot of Aeropostale shirts and cute tank tops

Thanks a lot for all the suggestions!

gymnasticswim: That'll come with time. ;) Also different people, girls in particular have a different tendency of building up muscels that show. I know gymnasts who you would never expect to be able to do more than one chin up.

raendrops: That's a great idea, thanks for the long and detailed instruction! As I'm no close friend with our sewing machine I always hesistated to try correcting shirts, I don't want to ruin them. Maybe I can get my mom to show me how it works and then try on an older shirt first.
One more question: how do you get the seams to not be totally asymetrical?

i don't know if you still want replies but...
i have trouble finding clothes that fit as well. i normally can find a shirt just fine, a little tight on the arms sometimes thought. pants just really suck to find. i found a couple pairs of forever 21 jeans that fit well because they had a stretch to them.

Thanks a lot for all the suggestions!

gymnasticswim: That'll come with time. ;) Also different people, girls in particular have a different tendency of building up muscels that show. I know gymnasts who you would never expect to be able to do more than one chin up.

raendrops: That's a great idea, thanks for the long and detailed instruction! As I'm no close friend with our sewing machine I always hesistated to try correcting shirts, I don't want to ruin them. Maybe I can get my mom to show me how it works and then try on an older shirt first.
One more question: how do you get the seams to not be totally asymetrical?
When you are doing the initial fitting(pinning and drawing the line), you can fold the shirt in half after you remove it and make sure the lines you draw with the meter stick (straight edge) line up.
I have actually been known to measure how far I went over on the left side and measured the same distance on the right side. Then made a mark and drew the lines to the arm hole.
I agree that you should try it first on an older shirt (or one you don't really care about).

Jeans suck, trust me. Try wearing jeggings w lots of stretch. Also, oversized tops/sweaters are in style now so stick w them.

Posting under my Mom's account. But I am a gymnast. LOL

you should find something that fits you the right way
hope it helps

Pants: I second American Eagle jeggings, they're the only jeans I wear! Leggings and yoga pants are a must, I like Lululemon and Ivivva but they're quite expensive however Ivivva especially is great quality. Garage or Forever 21 is a cheaper option for leggings.

Tops: Sweaters are a favourite of mine, you can get nice ones at Hollister and American Eagle. I really like tank tops and cardigans also, tank tops are strechy so they'll fit everywhere and cardigans (especially the longer, looser style) fit broad shoulders nicely.

Casual skirts and dresses fit well also... formal dresses not so much!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back