Healthy Snacks

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

B

B Gymnast

does anyone have any ideas for healthy snacks?? i eat A LOT and i can't get myself to eat healthy because i always think to myself, ''wouldn't chips taste a lot better than that banana?'' and whenever i'm bored i eat.. so like all the time..lol.. but i really need some ideas for healthier snacks!! thanks in advance!

It depends on what you are hungry for. If you want the crunch of chips try veggie chips, Sun Chips, or raw veggies (carrots, celery green and red peppers). If you want something sweet, go for fresh fruit dipped in vanilla yogurt or even melted chocolate. Cheese cubes are also a good choice as well. There are tons of healthy snacks--you just have to get creative!!!

Oh, I just remembered what I make for the kids sometimes. I make my own snack mix by mixing Cheerios, Kashi cereal, yogurt covered raisins, chopped dried pineapple, mangoes, apricots, almonds, semisweet chocolate chips or carob chips, and whatever else I can find. I put it in a tupperwear container and it usually lasts all week.

Fruit
dried fruit
real fruit popsicles
friut leather
you can freeze fresh fruit
veggies
veggies sticks/french fries/chips
smoothies
string cheese
cheese and crackers
apple sauce
an oatmeal cookie
yogurt
pasta
cliff bars
gronola bars
fiber one bars
sandwhiches
trail mixes
nuts
hummus and pita bread

Thats all I can think of at the moment. I hope that gives you some ideas

Nuts. They are excellent for you and filling. If you like chips you might like the salt and pepper pistachios - they are my favorite. You can also get different flavors of almonds too. Even chocolate almonds.

jennifer

I'm not sure if you want snack for at the gym or just snack where ever. Here is some of the snacks that I pack for my dd for gym:

Couple pieces of lunchmeat with cubed cheese

Homemade trail mix: Chex wheat cereal, yogurt covered raisins, various dried fruit, unsalted cashews, plain M&Ms, peanut butter M&Ms, Goldfish pretzels.

Cheese, crackers & pepperoni

Beef Jerky - excellent source of protein

Z Bars - basically Clif Bars for kids

Sharkies - which are organic sports fruit snacks. I consider these a treat and not a healthy snack, but she loves them.

Peanut butter & whole wheat crackers

Wheat pretzels

Sometimes I pack a salad, which includes spinach leaves, cubed cheese, grilled chicken, chick peas, croutons & dressing (one of her faves...)

There are probably others, but can't think of them right now.

A grocery store around here sells Apple Chips--they're not apple-flavored chips, but actual apple slices that are hard and crunchy like chips, and a great alternative to potato chips.

Dip veggies in a low-fat dip. I like to keep veggies on hand in snack-size ziplock bags for convenience. Actually, I separate lots of snack foods (granola, nuts, veggies, fruit--apple wedges, watermelon, berries, orange wedges) into those bags. I find I'm more likely to eat it if its convenient.

If I'm really craving something sweet, I sometimes melt dark chocolate pieces and natural peanut butter together and dip apples into it. Yummmy.

Yogurt is another great option. Try the Greek-style yogurt, it tends to have less sugar and more protein. My favorite is the Chobani Pomegranate.

Hummus and pretzels or pita chips are a great savory snack. Has anyone here ever tried Stacy's pita chips? Delicious! I like the Simply Naked to dip into roasted red-pepper hummus.

If you work hard to change your eating habits and eat healthy alternatives, you'll find that you don't crave the chips and candy as much, but it'll be difficult at first. Good for you for recognizing that good nutrition is important and trying to make a change!!! Good luck!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back