MAG Heel pain

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Men's Artistic Gymnastics

klunt

Gymnast
Sorry I've been gone for so long...I've been having some heel pain lately from tumbling on the floor for a while. I can't really describe where the pain is. It's on my left foot and it reaches from my heel to the side of my big toe. The pain isn't underneath my foot but on the side. My coach thinks it may be planters fasciitis but he's not sure. I've been walking on the side of my foot lately because it doesn't bug it as much that way. It almost feels as if a tendon or ligament is being severely stretched when I walk normal. Anything to help it? Tape job...Foot brace...Anything? Most of the pain is caused when punching off of the ball of my toe if that helps. Thanks :)

Have you been icing? I have that and I have to ice constantly. This almost sounds more like something in your arch. Have you gone to a doc? That would be the place to start!

Feet have a lot going on - many parts working together. A little injury, and other parts start compensating and it can compound from there, especially since you're walking on them all day (let alone doing gymnastics). Point being, see a doctor. There are doctors that just do feet - they're that different and that complicated.

Fasciitis plantaris is only one of a number of things this could be (and in my experience that tends to cause pain nearer to the heel itself).
It's really important that you get it checked out and diagnosed properly - don't rely on guesswork. If you keep compensating then you are going to start causing problems in other parts of your body, such as your hips and your back.

Good luck.

Wow, I was just going to post this same issue. My son has been having heel pain for the past few months and its getting worse. His seems to be the sides of his right heel. It bothers him the most when he runs on vault. He is seeing the Orthopedic tomorrow. They have been working hard now that competition season is coming up. :)

Yes, when I picked up DD at practice the other night she said, "I must be growing again. My Seivers is back." I hope we're getting near the end of her foot growth spurts. She already wears a women's 7 wide and she's not even 12 yet. Pretty soon she'll have to start wearing the boxes. ;)

Good luck, UniqueRN and Klunt -- we did the Sever's thing last spring and are hoping not to do it again! Let us know what the docs say.

MaryA, too funny!

Yup, it is Sever's. :) The Orthopedic told him to stop vault and tumbling for one month, to which my son responded, "No WAY! The alternative is the Cheetah heel cup and after practice elevation and ice. It seems to be helping.

come on son, you must compromise then. 1 day of vault and 1 day of tumbling per week for 6 weeks instead. you can't just keep pounding on Sever's day in and day out. you could fracture the growth plate or end up with achilles tendonitis due to compensating. come on now...:)

What? :eek: The ortho never told us that. Wish I had an Ortho who understood gymanstics. He didn't even know or understand the events. I like your suggestion. Will talk to the coach tomorrow. Thanks. ;)

Sever's rule in our gym for a first episode is "no landings that make a noise" until the pain is entirely gone. DD's nose was mightily out of joint and she had to miss a meet, but after two weeks off, she was right as rain. In retrospect, I'm glad she was off entirely for two weeks and then fine, as opposed to sorta kinda off for a month or two and then not fine.

Good luck, UniqueRN. Not fun for him or you, I know!

Luckily my gymnast hasn't had to deal with Sever's but my soccer player son has been having a tough time with it since June (to the point of being in a cast for 3 weeks at the beginning of soccer season to allow the inflammation to go down). After dealing with Ortho and the cast we went to a sports medicine doctor who has him doing a daily regimen of icing and stretching and it has made a huge difference. The soleus muscle and gastrocnemius muscle attach to the Achilles tendon which in turn pulls on the growth plate in the heel causing the irritation. Do a search for "stretches for Sever's" and you'll find the same stretches my son's doctor has been having him do which isolate those muscles.

To add to the topic, my feet are huge! I'm 15 and almost in a size 15 shoe! Can someone distinguish the difference between Severs and Plantars Fasciitis? Not quite sure what the difference is.

Severs causes pain in or near/sides of the heels and around the achille's tendon. PF cause pain in the arch and in both directions both bottom of the heel and bottom 1st metatarsal, and sometimes the top of the foot.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back