Help with BWO on beam

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

S

Sydsmom

My daughter is trying to work on her back walkover for the beam. She is struggling with getting her hands closer together for the beam.

any help/advice would be appreciated that I can pass along to her!

Thanks!!

when I was learning bwo on beam, mostly, i practiced on floor first. i did bwo's starting normally, then I would put them closer together every time, until i could do them with my hands touching each other. I also tried imagining a line on the floor, and to put my hands as close to it as possible. In the end, I actually used a measuring tape and taped it to the floor, and that helped a lot. Hope this helps your daughter! good luck!

Magical thing my coach told me was that at the end of the day (provided she is strong enough and i am sure she is) you're hands will never miss (one hand may slip but they will never just completely miss) this is because subconsciously your brain knows your hands have to go onto the beam. I have never been able to do a bwo with my hands together on the floor but will be competing a backwalkover on beam this sunday, I have also never thought about hands on the beam. So i would suggest just starting with floor beam and working her way up and if she needs it use mats around the beam

wen i was leaning my bwo i would hook my thumbs together so my hands would always stay together you can also just touch you thumbs together at the side and i would pretend thay were glued together and nothing could make them come apart

hope this helps :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back