Parents Hi all! It's been a long BUSY summer!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Thanks to all of you for all your wonderful advice and support! I knew that I could count on you!
Update: We took her to the doc. They took several films of her feet, ankles, heels, even legs. He explained all the reasoning but I won't get into it. Just basically covering all the angles. After reviewing the films, our doc wanted to consult with a sports medicine/ortho doc and the radiologist. They all agreed that it is Severs Syndrome. Basically, she will have bouts of this flare up when she is in a growing pattern and will eventually grow out of it. But, it is a pain that she will have to live with and learn to manage when she has flare ups. She has pt and lots of exercises. She will be doing heel stretches throughout the day as many of you also suggested. Iceing after practice and stretching before every event while at practice. Her coaches are all on the same page and have been great. They won't let her do dismounts on beam or bars and no tumbling for right now. We have ordered the cheetah's, so not looking forward to the smell, and she will start to wear those when they come in and the doc makes sure they are a proper fit.
Wow! All of this two weeks before her first competition! We'll see if she is ready. If not, no biggie there are plently more!
Emma and I had a fun day since she missed most of the schoolday bouncing from doctor, to xray, to doctor. I kept her home and we had a nice lunch and then went SHOE shopping!!! Doctor suggested Nike Shox for the support. So, got some cute pink and black ones and new brown, furry, boots with heels! FUN!
Anyhow, again thanks to you all! I will let you know how things go once she begins to tumble again!!!!

Thank you!
Shari and Emma

The heel pain is so frustrating because in many kids it doesn't follow any obvious pattern(Emma has more pain in her left heel than the right). My gymmie started out with pain in the left only, then both and then out of the blue no pain in the left, but alot of pain in the right. Now when it flares up a little its usually only the right heel.

Hope all comes back with a fairly simple explanation although it is tough trying to get them through this pain.

Thanks! I understand about not following a pattern. Emma has only had one other flare up with this and it was about 6 months ago...maybe more. I really couldn't tell you even which heel it was. It did go away but lucky us it came back! My older daughter had troubles while running cross country for school! I hope your dd has no more flare ups!!! Thanks again for the advice!!

Shari and Emma

Darn! I was so hoping that it wasn't going to end up being Severs. I was hoping that she would just have a slight strain that would go away in couple to weeks and be done. I'm glad that you were able to get into the doc and get a diagnosis though. It can be very frustrating dealing with pain and not knowing what it is exactly that you're dealing with. I hope that all the pt/heel stretches work wonders, and of coarse that the cheetahs don't smell too horrible for you. At least you bought 2 pair so that you can wash them often, lol.
BTW, how many comp do you guys do a year? I wish that we were going to Circle of Stars this year. I'll miss getting to see Emma and Cameron in action.

Good luck to Emma at her first meet. Keep doing the stretches Emma, it'll get better!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back