MAG Hi! New here. . .

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Men's Artistic Gymnastics

alongfortheride

Proud Parent
Just introducing myself. I have a little guy who was in a gymnastics class one hour a week last January-May. He took the summer off. He started in September as a Level 3, and quickly moved to Level 4, competed at Level 4 all year. Apparently he has talent for the sport, and he medaled a lot more than I had expected he would, for a beginner. He competed in 6 year old and under. He is now 7, and from what i hear will be moving up to Level 5 in the fall. He also is starting Future Stars, and will be attending that camp/clinic this summer.

I have to say, I am really new to all this, and originally started him in gymnastics because he is tiny, and I thought it would be good for him to have a sport he could have fun at and do well in. Now I am surprised, because he's doing better than I thought. We're definitely not really where I expected this road would take us. Anyway, life is full of surprises. We'll see what happens next. I never realized what a commitment gymnastics was before all this, that's for sure.

I'm still learning about boys' gymnastics. I have been lurking for a few months now, and figured I may as well join.

I can say it seems like most people don't know much about the sport. It's like, if you say your son is in soccer or baseball, everyone "gets" it, but not so much with gymnastics.

Hi and welcome! I'm pretty new as well and don't post too much. My son was also a 6yo L4 this year. He desperately wants to move up to L5 next season, but I'm not sure he'll learn all of the skills in time. I guess we'll see how the summer goes.

I didn't know much about gymnastics before either (still don't?), so I don't really expect other people to get it. The one thing I've noticed is that when I say he does competitive gymnastics, people assume he must have an amazing amount of talent. I get a lot of "Wow! Is he really that good?" It's sort of a difficult question to answer. He's a beginner and getting better all the time, just like any young kid starting a new sport, but he did not come in already having a ton of skills.

It sounds like you found the right sport for your son!

Hi to the newbies! There are lots of moms on here who have btdt and can answer tons of questions! I myself have an 11 yo training level 8, and very excited. But we have all be at level 4 and 5 :)

Welcome and feel free to ask any questions!!

Welcome! I'm always glad to see a new member with a boy! We need all the support we can get with our guys who have chosen to walk the road MUCH less traveled than baseball, basketball, football, soccer, etc. My son's just finished his second year at L5 and will be training in the hope of competing L6 next season, and oh my, is he happy to be working on new skills now!

If you haven't seen it yet, summer uptraining is like magic. :)

Welcome! I am pretty new to CB myself but there is a wealth of information and helpful friendly people on here. The sport is a ton of fun and commitment so it's nice to find a place where other people get it!

Just introducing myself. I have a little guy who was in a gymnastics class one hour a week last January-May. He took the summer off. He started in September as a Level 3, and quickly moved to Level 4, competed at Level 4 all year. Apparently he has talent for the sport, and he medaled a lot more than I had expected he would, for a beginner. He competed in 6 year old and under. He is now 7, and from what i hear will be moving up to Level 5 in the fall. He also is starting Future Stars, and will be attending that camp/clinic this summer.

I have to say, I am really new to all this, and originally started him in gymnastics because he is tiny, and I thought it would be good for him to have a sport he could have fun at and do well in. Now I am surprised, because he's doing better than I thought. We're definitely not really where I expected this road would take us. Anyway, life is full of surprises. We'll see what happens next. I never realized what a commitment gymnastics was before all this, that's for sure.

I'm still learning about boys' gymnastics. I have been lurking for a few months now, and figured I may as well join.

I can say it seems like most people don't know much about the sport. It's like, if you say your son is in soccer or baseball, everyone "gets" it, but not so much with gymnastics.

that's right! and no more taking summers off. :)

@curlymop -- I can so relate to the "wow, is he really good?" question. I think most people aren't that familiar with boys' gymnastics, so they see anything and think it's super good/impressive. I got that when my son had only been in Level 4 about a month or so.

@profmom--Yes, I have no other friends w/ boys in gymnastics. It's like a novelty to my friends. . most of their boys play baseball or basketball, etc. My older son does soccer. I expected my younger son to learn a lot over this summer in gymnastics, but I guess he will be learning more than I expected since he's learning all the extra Future Stars stuff now. I watched the routines and can't believe what they do at his age. Wow.

@dunno--We took the summer off last year because he wasn't on pre-team or team yet, and we still had to make that decision. He's not taking this summer off. He's currently working on the Future Stars skills, etc. Well, he will be taking 2 weeks off (one week for our family vacation, and one week for boys camp).

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back