High School Gymnastics Requirements

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Where can I find the requirements for high school gymnastics routines? I am looking specifically for how many of each skill type is required.

Each state has its own CoP. They can be found in the publication by the state hs gymnastics association.

In illinois, routines are 8 skills minimum.

Skills are valued instead of lettered. Medium=A, superior=B, high superior, and bonus high superior (basically a D).

Routines are expected to have 1 high superior, 3 superiors, and 4 mediums.

Bars - kip, direction change (or virtually any release), handstand (fulfilled with giant), and I think a salto dismount.

Beam - dance/acro/dance series (or vice versa), acro in combination?... I forget the rest of beam.

Floor - tumbling pass forward/backward with 3 elements (HS Front fulfills, however), and a dance/acro/dance series, and for some reason I recall a full turn or something like that.

Vault - land on your feet please. Twisting + salto vaults are now legal (all 10.0 obviously)

I haven't read the hs CoP in a while, though... But that should give you a basic understanding.

Yes, that is basically what I am looking for. Sorry I should have been more specific.. I am in Mass. and don't have access to the COP for high school. I am a club coach helping one of my old team girls with a high school routine. She will only be competeing floor.

odds are.. if you go with simple, youre gonna be fine. Depending on her level, just do what is safest and cleanest. 3 solid passes that she will always hit, and some dance/acro series.. dont be afraid to call her coach at the school, too.. Im sure they will be elated to hear from you, especially that you are willing to help out.

To put it in perspective - last year in Illinois was pretty weak as far as finals were concerned. 1 double back on floor in finals, a handful of double twists. However, it goes in cycles. Last year double pikes were flying along side double twists...

The biggest issue you will come across is if her coach is not experienced in spotting bigger skills. You REALLY dont want her throwing a double back on floor without a spotter who can help her, unless she is super consistent.

Also, in my experience, judges seem to really love 180* leaps/jumps. Emphasizing those might be helpful too.

You can also ask your gymnast to ask her coach for a judging slip. They usually have all the requirements for the event printed on them, and it will help you compositionally - especially if you're looking for bonus.

at the bottom, it says "sample judges sheets"

On those, it shows all the reqs/bonus.

Good find. I didnt even know that website existed. The things you learn...

There is a book you can order from this website also. I use it for designing routines for HS gymnasts. It costs like $5. It is worth the investment.

Each state has its own CoP. They can be found in the publication by the state hs gymnastics association.

In illinois, routines are 8 skills minimum.

Skills are valued instead of lettered. Medium=A, superior=B, high superior, and bonus high superior (basically a D).

Routines are expected to have 1 high superior, 3 superiors, and 4 mediums.

Bars - kip, direction change (or virtually any release), handstand (fulfilled with giant), and I think a salto dismount.

Beam - dance/acro/dance series (or vice versa), acro in combination?... I forget the rest of beam.

Floor - tumbling pass forward/backward with 3 elements (HS Front fulfills, however), and a dance/acro/dance series, and for some reason I recall a full turn or something like that.

Vault - land on your feet please. Twisting + salto vaults are now legal (all 10.0 obviously)

I haven't read the hs CoP in a while, though... But that should give you a basic understanding.

well you have to have a full turn on beam i don't think you need a full turn on floor

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back