WAG Holding biased in-house meet to boost morale of team

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Maybe I'm wrong, I am not a judge. So the girls may have deserved those scores. Only a regular meet will verify the scores. I guess, these "in-house" meets can go either way. Make a gymnast work harder because they are scored harshly or make them believe in themselves and feel confident enough to push themselves harder.
Not sure where OP lives, but in our State, HS gym is a fall sport.

We have had a judge in about a month before first meet - to judge 'readiness' no scores.

Yes, where I live gymnastics is a fall sport although the counties all compete around March next year. They form the county teams in the fall and compete the end of the winter.

We hold an in-house meet each year and have had the judges ask if we want deductions taken for spots, missing elements, ect... I'm not sure if it's common practice, but obviously does happen.

That's interesting. It is probably what happened at that meet.

Last year at the in-house meet, there was no judge except for the girls who were trying to score out of a level. The optional coach judged the rest of the optionals and gave them all a 10.0 in every event. Obviously, it was a joke. I could see, at an in-house meet, not deducting for things like landing in the pit instead of on the floor. It should be clear, at least to any experienced gymnast, that they will not be flipping into a pit for the actual meet, and I'm sure there is not even a set deduction for "landing in the pit" because it would just never happen. I could even see possibly not even deducting for having a spot as long as it is clear to the gymnast that they would be deducted if they are spotted in the meet.

Really, there's no point of a kid going into a meet expecting to get a 9 when their skills are really only a 7. It may get them pumped up in the short run but in the long run it will just lead to disappointment.

maybe it is just a fun meet and the girls know going in that the scores are inflated? It seems like a strange practice to me. I would think that a gymnast would rather know what they need to work on rather than having their ego stroked. IDK, I can see that this would lead to a lot of disappointment when the actual meet season starts and the scores are significantly lower than what they were expecting them to be, unless of course they were already aware that this in house meet scores really mean nothing.

We have an intrasquad meet with judges. They were realistic with their scores - our gym uses it as a guide to see where the girls are at prior to the season starting.

A non sanctioned meet is open game if the judge is willing. However I don't know why you would bring in a judge to not judge.

You sure that was her score and not just her start value? First thing that came to my kind! Keep in mind things you hear from others in a gym are often times not very accurate :)

You sure that was her score and not just her start value? First thing that came to my kind! Keep in mind things you hear from others in a gym are often times not very accurate :)

I've never been to a meet where a start value was ever posted or held up in a scoreboard. Have you? I've been to enough meets to know when a score is posted. In addition, my post clearly indicates I was at the meet. The conversations I overheard had no bearing on the score but spoke of the "mood" at the gym.

I've never been to a meet where a start value was ever posted or held up in a scoreboard. Have you? I've been to enough meets to know when a score is posted. In addition, my post clearly indicates I was at the meet. The conversations I overheard had no bearing on the score but spoke of the "mood" at the gym.
Yeah, they always flash the SV, usually at the judges table. I feel like they could put it on the scoreboard, like especially when they show all the judges scores, but not usually. It makes a lot more sense as a SV.

The examples of the numbers you saw make perfect sense as a start value. Here they always display the start value at the judges table at meets. I could see at an in-house meet a situation where they display the start values but not the actual scores- it could even be that the judge was only giving start values (as that is rather objective) and then just giving verbal feedback on the execution rather than an actual score.

SV makes sense to me -- I've seen them flashed at meets before. With L9s and L10s, it probably would make sense to have an outside judge look at routines for SV before the meet season gets under way. Connection credit can be tricky, and screwing some things up can drop the value of a part enough that the gymnast ends up with a far lower score than just the deduction for the problems with the skill. My DD's L7 team got a big shock at their second meet last year when the judge didn't give several girls B credit for their free hips on bars, which caused their SVs to plummet for a missing B (special requirement). An 8.8 is fine for a score, but as a start value . . . :eek:

DD's gym does an in-house meet, but from what I've seen, the scores there are lowballs, not highballs. The first meet, however, is generally an invitational with fairly generous scoring. Almost all the girls get their state qualifying scores there, which takes that pressure off the table for the ones for whom it might otherwise be an issue.

Yeah, they always flash the SV, usually at the judges table. I feel like they could put it on the scoreboard, like especially when they show all the judges scores, but not usually. It makes a lot more sense as a SV.

The judges do have a SV booklet they put up on their table. But I've never seen it flashed on a scoreboard. I can see where the number would make sense as a an SV and after careful thought, it does make sense.

The judges do have a SV booklet they put up on their table. But I've never seen it flashed on a scoreboard. I can see where the number would make sense as a an SV and after careful thought, it does make sense.

It would make sense as a start value as you say but where everyone in the stands and at the meet ( the girl and her teammates) were going nuts "because she got a 9.9" , you'd think if that WAS a start value and not her score, someone would have clued the celebraters in( like maybe someone saying to people "uh that's just her start value, not her score")

However, if that were the case, why did the L10 and L9s believe that was their score? They were very excited and could not stop talking about it. It seems improbable that the entire team believed this was the score. Did their coaches mean to mislead them?

It would make sense as a start value as you say but where everyone in the stands and at the meet ( the girl and her teammates) were going nuts "because she got a 9.9" , you'd think if that WAS a start value and not her score, someone would have clued the celebraters in( like maybe someone saying to people "uh that's just her start value, not her score")

Whooooboy, if this is the explanation, that's going to be one rude awakening at the first meet!

My thoughts exactly Bookworm. As I said earlier, the rest of the team mates and parents believed if it were not for the L10 hitting the mat on her pak, she would have gotten a 10. The L9 who got an 9.5 (which could be an SV too) is a friend of ours and she was beside herself with the score. None of the coaches told her otherwise. She did not score above an 8.2 last season as an L9. She even had a couple 5.9 last season. All the other scores in the meet appeared to me to be scores. But who knows.

However, if that were the case, why did the L10 and L9s believe that was their score? They were very excited and could not stop talking about it. It seems improbable that the entire team believed this was the score. Did their coaches mean to mislead them?

Well that's what I'm saying...I think that at this particular meet , it WAS their score , however unlikely it is that it will happen at any type of a real meet...I think if it was just the start value, even the judge might have said something even to the coach (like "that wasn't her score") but where all are raving about the high score, I think that's exactly what is was.

Yeesh no need to get sassy. Obviously I wasn't there so I didn't know if they actually flashed a score for everyone or just wrote it down or had it displayed on the judges table (which they always do with the start value at real meets).

If you go to an optional meet, they have a little score chart that they show start value on, it's on the table right in front of them. In my state they don't do it in compulsories. But if cards are issued then YES they always put start value on the card for the coaches to read. This is done to cut down on inquiries and help coaches.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back