Home beams/Gym beams

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I got a low beam last week and I keep falling on skills I can do regularly at the gym. I mostly work on simple things I have down pretty well like full turns, back walkovers, and front walkovers (I'm too scared to do back handsprings). It is only about 4 inches off the floor, but it is giving me more trouble than beams that are 4 feet off the ground. It's not wobbly at all, but I can't figure out why I can't stay on. I think it might be because I know I won't get hurt if I fall off, so I'm not really fighting to stay on. Any tips on how to get keep sticking skills I already have?

I think it's just mental, like you suspect. That always happened to me with cartwheels, I could do them no problem (or at least land my foot on!) on the high beam, but on the low beam my foot always landed off to the side. I think it was some subconscious "If I land with my foot half off the beam on the low beam I could twist my ankle" but landing on the floor was safe, and landing on the high beam was safe cause my ankle couldn't roll.

I think the only thing you can do is just keep practicing, till you're getting them solid on the low beam too. It'll only make your skills that much better on the high beam! :)

~Katy

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back