WAG Home work

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

wsg13

Coach
Proud Parent
Gymnast
I go to a school were marks are very important. My parents also believe this and are threatening to take me out of gym. I am in year 11 and struggling a lot. How do you all get time for home work?

I go to a school were marks are very important. My parents also believe this and are threatening to take me out of gym. I am in year 11 and struggling a lot. How do you all get time for home work?
As a 24 year old parent and coach and gymnast AND student, you need to learn time management!!

You do your work whenever possible. If you love gym and don't want to quit, give up the idea of any other "free" time... School work gets done during any free period at school, during lunch, immediately after school if there is a few minutes, during break at practice, after practice, and on the weekends. In high school, I cheered on 2 squads (so 15 hours a week plus comps and games...sometimes this added up to 25+ hours a week), and worked 15 hours a week, took honors classes and managed to graduated in the top 10% of my class--you just have to have the mindset that you are not going to have a "normal" life, the same as your classmates. Your life consists of school and gym...it's a different lifestyle, and worth it to some. I wouldn't change my hs experience for anything, but I also have friends that thought I was nuts and who get burnt out quickly with too much scheduled time. It's up to you to decide if you want that life or not, then find a way to make it work. My parents would have pulled me in a second if I complained or let my grades drop.

I agree with CreateMagic. I used to go to a full time public school. I was in english concentration which was harder than the normal program. I used to train about 14 hours a week, in addition to coaching about 10 hours/week. On a typical day, I would leave home at about 8 and come back at 4h30. I'd have supper and I would then leave at 5h10 for training at 5h30 until 8h30. Having supper before training helped me get to bed earlier which is essential as a good night sleep can really help you in class. So, as you can see, the only time I had on these days for homework was during lunch time.

I did more homework during lunch breaks and week-ends than my friends. Every time a teacher gave an homework, I would plan immediately when I would be doing it. More important, I listened in class and took notes. Once you've done that, you already memorized a lot of things.

My DD has late nights almost every night because she is at gym until 9pm. Tuesday's she doesn't have gym so we try to do as much as we can that night (projects and such). She also works on her homework while on the school bus... the girl is dedicated lol

As a parent of two kids who chose very time consuming activities (dance and gymnastics) I totally agree that you just have to learn how to manage your time, *and* know that your "leisure time" is going to have to be sacrificed. On any normal weekday my kids go straight to training after school and do not get home until between 7:30(earliest)-9:30. Some days they have more homework than others, and it's rough if a heavy homework day falls on the late-home days. They do have Tuesdays off from training so they try to get a lot done then, including chores.
Being serious about a sport or activity requires a lot of sacrifices, "free time" is one of them... My kids knew that was the choice they had to make. Serious sport/activity= little to no social life outside studio/gym and less free time.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back