Horrible, horrible competition

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

LucyTRA

Coach
Gymnast
Judge
I crashed a competition yesterday - the first time I've ever done that.

I don't even know what happened - I did my first skill (BSS(T)) fine, took off for my second skill (mind blank starts here) the skill was a straddle jump. That move that you learn on your first day at trampolining. I landed on my knees. No idea how or why. One of my coaches was on the judging panel and he said that it was 'a proper crash landing' but he had no idea how it happened either. I got up, presented, and got down. I was just about holding it together until someone asked me if I was ok and gave me a hug... *openfloodgates*

I feel like such an idiot for falling, and even more of an idiot for crying over it! This was my first competition with my new club (old club were present and everyone except former boyfriend/coach was lovely) and I really needed to do well. I did get back on and complete my voluntary routine but predictably came dead last. The girls from my old team came over to comfort me after I crashed and their coach pulled them away, telling them that they couldn't be with me because they needed to focus. They were as angry as I was about that situation, and as I said before, everyone else was lovely. One of the mums from my old team cried when I got through my second routine.

I'm glad this was the last comp of the season...

It happens. A lot I know it's horrible, and it's almost as horrible to watch someone go wrong and get upset.

It's happened to my kids a couple of times. They're only little, but I do think it's an important lesson that things go wrong, but there'll be more comps, more chances. Nobody thinks they're rubbish, nobody will remember by the next comp, and likely all anyone will want to do is give you a big hug and see you rock the next one :))

I bet there's nobody from Olympics down hasn't had *that* competition. The important thing is to get back up and keep on competing. After a bad comp I always tell the DD's I'm more proud that they had the guts to try again than if they had won.

Sorry you had a bad comp :(. It'll sting for a few days, but then all you can do is move on. Focusing on it will just drive you mad.

The next one will be better.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back