How far away is youre gym from you?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Ours is 20 minutes I thought that was bad. If you add up how much time is spent driving up and back 20 minutes seems like alot. How do the parents that have to dirve an hour do it, do you just stay for practice? An hour away seems crazy to me, the parents who do this I have to appauld your dedication!

the gym i currently work at is about 15 mins away. the gym i worked at when i lived in texas was 7 miles from my house but about 20 mins each way because of traffic. I may be getting another job at another gym but the next closest one is about 45 mins to an hour away.

we have girls in rec. classes and team that will drive well over an hour to come to the gym I work at now.

7 miles.

This is 45min-an hour by public transit, and slightly less by bike. In a car it can be anywhere from 15 to 50 minutes, which is somewhat insane.

Ours is 20 minutes I thought that was bad. If you add up how much time is spent driving up and back 20 minutes seems like alot. How do the parents that have to dirve an hour do it, do you just stay for practice? An hour away seems crazy to me, the parents who do this I have to appauld your dedication!

Whether I stay or not depends on the length of practice. Luckily, DH can help with the driving some days by picking DD up on his way home. Two days a week, practice is 6.5 hours (with a lunch break) so I do not stay on those days. I might stay on the 4-hour days but there are things to do nearby (a couple of malls, I have a friend over there, etc.) so it's not too hard to kill some time. And if my youngest son isn't with me, I do enjoy watching practice from time to time, too. It all works out in the end.

My main gym is 30 - 35 minutes away. The other 2 gyms I go to occasionally are 20-25 minutes away.

Holy cow! I thought my drive was bad!! lol

It used to be 10 min, but we moved a few months ago and now its about 30 min. The bad part is, with one on pre team tue thur, and one on level 4 team mon-wed-fri, I am making that drive every weekday! And again for TOPs on Sat. I feel like I have a full time job-without pay!!

Luckily, my mom lives close to the gym and we go hang out at her place for the 3 hour practices.

im about 12 mins away, but i also have to go out of the way into sides streets for 7 mins so if i took the strigaht main road it would take 5.

i catch the bus to gym after school everday but that is about 40 mins away and i have to take to buses, school and public :)

I live about 20 - 30 minutes away from the gym but sometimes i can get there in 15 because the traffic is so unpredictable

Our gym is about 30 minutes away! :)
So, total it is an hour on the road - three times a week.
But, the drive is nice and interstate most of the way.

How do the parents that have to dirve an hour do it, do you just stay for practice? An hour away seems crazy to me, the parents who do this I have to appauld your dedication!

Let me assure you that if we thought there was a viable option closer to home, we would jump at it. We live in a rural area. Flipper went to a gym that was only 12 minutes from home for years, but as she progressed through the levels, we ran out of coaching. Her old gym didn't have anybody who felt comfortable spotting the skills for level 7/8 so Flipper either had to switch gyms or never move up. There are a couple of gyms a few minutes closer to home, but they can't compare to the level of coaching at our current gym.

That is the rationalization - but I do agree that our hour drive is crazy! Dad takes Flipper to the gym 4 days a week and I take her on Saturday. We take turns picking her up. We often take the laptop to the gym or nearby library and work during practice. We certainly don't sit at the gym for the 4 hours she practices each day. I run errands (which just leads to spending money because I run out of errands before time to pick her up!).

We drive 1 hour each way. Glad to hear that other parents do the same. Our DDs (ages 8 and 10- both level 4) love it and have progressed quickly in only 7 months of training.

However, we'd love to see a gym in our area - maybe even a satellite of our current gym as they are the closest to our rural town. We've contemplated starting a gym (I'm a former gymnast) but the workload (in addition to our day jobs) would be overwhelming.

Has anyone else thought about starting their own gym or hiring a private coach in order to reduce the commute time?

OUr new gym is about the same distance as our old gym 20 - 30 min one way but when the snow hits I'm sure its going to be more like 40 - 60 min. Living in New England area you never know if your going to have the light fluffy stuff or be driving in a blizzard with 3 feet of snow and almost a whiteout. Don't forget the wildlife that jumps out into the road at night too - I don't know how many times deer, moose, fox, wild turkeys, etc run out into the road.

That is about average drive for just about anything you go to around here.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back