Parents How often does your gym provide feedback?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

What are you hoping to get from the feedback, would be my question.

DD's coaches will tell me if there are any issues. She has some fear problems and the coaches are great about letting me know when she gets over a hurdle or if her fear is holding her back. They are approachable and I can grab them if I have a question.

I am a paying parent, obviously, but I'm not paying for skill acquisition so I really don't look for detailed updates on what she's learning, how quickly, etc. I just keep an eye on my DD, her moods and behaviors and if something seems off I will ask both her and her coaches what is going on. But more often than not if there is an issue the coach has already given me a heads up.

Oh I don't expect a written progress report ever!!! That's ridiculous!!! I wish some parents took education / their kids schools, as serious as they do their kids gymnastics. My dd will go 3 times a week for 9 hr total. So I think I would just like a few min of oral feedback once a week or better once monthly. That is what i would expect but being a newbie mum (knows very little about how competitive gymnastics works) I'm not sure if that is reasonable. I guess i am looking for feedback only because the coach said my daughter has to catch up and she'll help her. The other girls on my daughter's preteam have been on that team for 2 yrs, and knowa lot more. My daughter just started in a rec class this past summer and was moved to the advanced preteam just recently. So I guess i want feedback once monthly to just see how well she's catching up to them. She is so new. Is that fair? I was happy when the coach provided me with feedback aftre both of the tryouts. I was able to ask Qs and the answers helped me to decide to move her to that team. Now the feedback after the try out was long and i wouldnt expect to get feedback like that on a monthly basis. And like i said i would never expect/request a written progress report!!!! I don't even watching her practises, maybe just the first 10 min but they are at the back of the gym in the first 10-15 of their class so cant see much and then i leave. I admit sometimes i drop her off and wonder what happens. ha ha

Once a year in the summer, we get a private meeting with HC, and it's to ask any questions we have. Not too many details are given, and practices are closed so no watching. We know basically what the kids tell us. Now if we have a concern, HC is quite responsive to email, though usually the answer is vague (sigh). I take what I can get.

I am really really new............but I am beginning to think that I personally am getting too much feedback. I am considering watching only a few more practices to make sure that all gets done that I talked to the Owner/Head Coach about recently.............after that I am thinking that I might just only stay for every now and then...........plus our gym has a "mommy club" kinda feel and it just has been way more drama then I need so I might just go get an ice cream or soda when the daughter is at the gym.
There's drama at our kids gym too but surprisingly its the mum's whose kids are in rec classes and not in the competitive program. They stay the whole class and watch, and gossip, they think their kids will make it to the olympics, and bring camera and video recorders to film their kids frm the waiting area. It's insane. On most days i just drop my dd off but i have from time to time waited 10 min after dropping her off as im curious. But i dont see much. I then leave and come back 3 hrs later to pick her up!

Never. Have to email the coach, it's the only way I know anything. And they kind of make me feel like a CGM if I ask.
That's a shame! They shouldnt make us feel like that. Unless parents email them every day! I dont have time nor do i need daily feedback. lol I was hoping for monthly feedback at the most.

I've had different experiences at 2 different gyms. The first was really small and catching the coaches in the hallway or parking lot for quick conversations happened all the time. Our current gym is large and on the few occasions that I have seen a coach in the lobby, there is usually a line already around them to talk so I don't bother trying. We've been there several months and haven't gotten any feedback other than a quick, "she got her BHS today!" one day in passing. I think if I want feedback here I am gong to have send an email.
I am not looking for elaborate feedback, something short. Id like to know if she is struggling on anything, and if she mastered anything. A few minute of feedbk tops is all im looking for once monthly. But I dont demand it. I can do without it too. As long as they provide the feedback after each session. That would be once every 4 mths.

Formally, twice a year.

Personal email addresses are given and we are welcome to send messages at any time. I don't take advantage of this and don't know of anyone else who does. (Though I am sure there are parents -- particularly of the younger, compulsory girls -- who do.)

Does it sound utopian? Yep.

I think it works so well because the coaches are approachable and transparent. This goes a long way toward heading off at the pass untoward Crazy Gymnastic Parent behaviors.

Formally, twice a year.

Personal email addresses are given and we are welcome to send messages at any time. I don't take advantage of this and don't know of anyone else who does. (Though I am sure there are parents -- particularly of the younger, compulsory girls -- who do.)

Does it sound utopian? Yep.

I think it works so well because the coaches are approachable and transparent. This goes a long way toward heading off at the pass untoward Crazy Gymnastic Parent behaviors.
I wonder when our gym gives feedback. I wouldnt think of asking for it if i knew when they did, even if they did just once a yr,as long as i knew when, then Id accept it. Id never email them or call them or hunt down the coach at the gym, i dont have time to do that. I'm lucky to even get my dd on time to gymnastics never mind calling or emailing the coach for feedback.

Thanks all for your comments. I liked every single one. You all made great points and thanks for sharing your own experiences. My dd is new to her team , and she is behind the others as the others started 2 yrs before her, and I guess thats why i wanted to know how she is doing. And her coach has never told us if she does give feedback or not. And if she does, when. I think after reading your comments, I think if she doesnt mention it, then I'll ask in a few months, and then again in the new yr. I think that's fair. I'll email the gym as i dont want to look for the coach. She is very busy and I can relate. I dont have time either. I'm lucky to get my dd to gymnastics on time. Never mind calling up and emailing coaches in my free time.What is free time anyways?!!!!

I also would like to know how parents on here know what skills their kids are working on, what skills they've attempted , were successful at or are still working on. Ive come across many posts saying my dd knows how to do this or my dd is working on this. Without regular feedback , how do you know what your kid is doing in gym class. I know some mum stay and watch the whole time. But i cant with 2 other kids and her practises/training is 3 hrs. And you dont always see them frm the waiting area so there is no point even if time permits. Even if you watched, if you know nothing about gymnastics then you wont know what they are doing. For those who dont get regular feedback , how do you find out about what you kid is working on and their strnegths and weaknesses, my 6 yr old dd is just starting out on the advanced preteam and she wouldnt know what everything is called if i asked her. Thanks again all.

My kid tells me all about it. Some kids love to talk about everything, some not so much. I think it would be hard if she didn't want to share with me. I also try to pop in once a month or so and try to catch a bit of practice. Now in the optional world they are at the gym constantly so staying to watch the whole time just isn't possible for most or advised (for many reasons) unless you want to nap through the hour and a half of warmup/conditioning every day. Boring is putting it lightly.

And, once you sit through a competition season you will have a better idea of how it all works and what skills are what. You will watch hundreds if not thousands of the same routine over and over again during the compulsory years. It is a great education if you can keep your head from exploding from the horrible music on a constant loop. :) :eek:

No progress reports to be seen around these parts. Sometimes I will get a few words like "beam looks good today" or " she seems off today, what up" but mostly it's my dd who keeps me informed. She is a very perceptive kid though so I probably get more than most.

No formal reports or anything here. But my kids come running over at pick up and tell me if they've got something exciting to show, and often a coach will take them to the apparatus to show me.
Sometimes the coach may say something on pickup if we are the last ones out (usually my youngest is the slowest to stretch down ever and to get her stuff out of her locker).
But it's gymnastics so not a lot to tell most of the time, lol.

DD's gym has one-on-one parent-coach meetings once a term. They're really helpful and encouraging sessions, with the parents able to ask as many questions as they need, and the coaches providing really insightful feedback on the girls' progress. The session lasts for about 15 minutes.

We are allowed to watch practice. If we weren't, and there wasn't a regular (even once a year) meeting with coaches to talk about progress, I would really not be happy. I'm not thrilled with no individual meetings or progress reports, ever, but it wouldn't fly with me if I also couldn't see what she was doing in the gym on any given day.

That's a shame! They shouldnt make us feel like that. Unless parents email them every day! I dont have time nor do i need daily feedback. lol I was hoping for monthly feedback at the most.
Well, I'm just wanting some feedback now regarding the upcoming meet season. Like, is there anything she needs to work on? Should we schedule a private to work on it? How's she doing overall? But no, I don't ask. There's just really not much communication at our gym. I wish I felt like I could approach the coaches or really anybody to ask questions like that but I just don't feel it's accepted.

When dd was preteam coaches handed out a report sheet that listed all the skills and then whether they were mastered or not complete with a note next to anything that still needs worked on. That was once per year. I used to worry about all the skills and whether she had this or that. Then I found chalk bucket and after reading lots of posts, I relaxed. Thank you chalk bucket from keeping me from becoming a CGM. :) I put myself in check and now just enjoy watching my dd when she has meets. It will get easier once your dd starts competing. As long as the coach is approachable if you do have a concern then I would try to wait until the coach approaches you. Knowing that if I had a concern that I can contact them with works for me, otherwise I stick with no news is good news. Dd just had her practice meet last week and I was pleasantly surprised of her progression since last meet season. That's the upside to never watching practice.

We have a formal sit down in fall about levels, skills, etc
We have a report card in January - they have all the skills listed for your daughters level and they tixk if she has it or working on it
And anytime else you want. I usually meet formally at least 2 times minimum a year. They are very good and candid.
I am happy with the level of feedback we get.
Our head coach is pretty approachable - most times

I have been in a gym before where there was no feedback and I said I would never let that happen again.

I also ask my daughter and our commuting gymnie every practice - what was your favourite and why? And what was your least favourite and why? You would be surprised at how much you learn about the gym and training with those two questions. ;)

We have a once a year "conference" where we can ask the coach what the plans are and if there are any concerns. That is the formal part but we are a pretty laid back gym and can watch practices when we want. I can usually have a quick chat with her HC when needed but I hardly ever take advantage of that. HC also has my cell number and will text me every once in a while if DD has done something that she was been working on for a while. She texted me " You owe DD a giant ice cream :)" this summer for finally make her kip cast handstand a certain number of times.

As for knowing what she is working on, DD usually is pretty open about it and tells me when things went well. Plus I have the plan that was discussed at the conference and I can watch practice when I want.

I have a boy gymnast, but from waht I have seen, it is about the same at our gym for boys or girls. Parents are allowed to watch,and are not discouraged from doing so. Coaches tend to pop out after practice to answer questions, etc. If it seems ot be a long one, they will set up a meeting at a more appropriate time.

D's coach will also film new skills so parents can see, or have a boy film it. He will also let them show us after practice.

As to what D is working on, I rely on him to tell me. At the compulsary level, I got to know what he was doing, based on what we saw at meets, etc. Now at optionals, it is all different, so he tells me. Honestly though, I usually have NO idea what he is talking about :)

To the OP, I think with your daughter just starting in a new group, it's perfectly reasonable to just check in after a few weeks or so to ask "Hi Coach, just checking in to see if Susie is doing OK and keeping up in this group, or if there are any concerns for me to be aware of. Susie tells me she is having loads of fun."

If there are concerns with anything, then by all means agree to check back at an agreed-upon time, but if coach says "She's doing great!" then no need for anything more formal.

I would add that it is always fair to ask for clarity on general progression topics, such as the path to team from this group, time/cost commitment at the next levels, how and when the girls will be evaluated for "moving up" (i.e., is there a testing date?),etc.

And since you're new and can't watch practice, you might get away with a newbie question like, "Hi Coach, I know nothing about gymnastics, and I'm so curious what kinds of skills my daughter will be expected to achieve in this class over the next 6 months/year, and what she'll need to advance to team. Do you have any suggestions for how I could learn about that?"

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back