How to do hair for gymnastics?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

hawaii_gymnast

Coach
Gymnast
Judge
Well i am having difficulties figuring out how to make my hair stay for gymnastics training, for competition it's okay because i use hairspray and gel, but i dont like having it all in my hair because it gives me a headache. How can i do my hair, any suggestions.

I have thick hair just past my shoulders with a few layers and side bangs. My bangs dont have to go up but they can. Just something to work!

Its really bugging me now that i am starting to get a lot of new skills (front handsping full vault, back layout full, cast to handstand, etc.)

Thanks

Not sure how good you are at 'doing' your hair but a popular style with our gymnasts at the mo is an inverted french braid across the front of the head so it looks like a hair band, then the rest of the hair pulled into a pony or bun. They also use more than 1 hair tie and sometimes a scrunchie and lots of grips!

Other than that, just spray some water on your hair before putting it into a pony, get some good hair ties and use 1 or 2 if you need it tighter then put grips all around!

I get what you mean about getting a headache - that used to happen to me too!

My daughter has really thick hair and we have found a couple of ways that work pretty good for her. The first is a ponytail using several rubberbands. First we pull the top section up in (rubberband #1). Then the rest of the hair is pulled up (rubberband #2). Then we usually fold it over into a messy bun (rubberband #3). The other way that works really good is to do a series of rubberbands down the back of her head. Pull a section back like you are going to do a french braid and rubberband. Pull another section and rubberband below that section (including the first section). Keep going until you have a line of rubberbands going down the back of your head and all your hair is contained. If those two ways don't work, braids is always a good option.

Like you said, all the product that we use for meets and stuff tends to give her headaches, so we try not to use the really tight rubberbands and things for daily practice, but at least even if these ways come a little loose, her hair is still out of her face.

Thanks guys, i usually just pull my hair back into a pony but it fails, i use plenty of clips and like 4 elastics! I dont know how to do the french braid hair band thing but have seen it and will look it up on youtube.

Thanks for all the suggestions :)

i usually do one or two french braids either all the way down, or doing them so they meet in the middle and the top of my neck and making a bun or ponytail. The only issue I ever had with the bun is sometimes if it's a little too high it hurts doing backrolls, but only for a second.

Most of my gymnasts use the several little tiny pony tails along the front of their hair and then pull it all together in the back.

Well i am having difficulties figuring out how to make my hair stay for gymnastics training, for competition it's okay because i use hairspray and gel, but i dont like having it all in my hair because it gives me a headache. How can i do my hair, any suggestions.

I have thick hair just past my shoulders with a few layers and side bangs. My bangs dont have to go up but they can. Just something to work!

Its really bugging me now that i am starting to get a lot of new skills (front handsping full vault, back layout full, cast to handstand, etc.)

Thanks

My daughter has very very thick hair down to her waist. For practice we put it up in a high ponytail then divide that into 4 or 5 sections. Each section we then braid so there are 4 - 5 braids when done then we take the ends of the braids and using another elastic loop the braids to the base of the ponytail then put a hair scrunchy on to hide the ends of the braids. It makes the hair less bulky and lighter on the head. then any flyaways get clipped. It holds really well. DD even has slept on it and it still holds the next day.

Sometimes we do 2 pony tails and then do the braid loops

If she is going to do a competition then we take those braids and spray them lightly to make them a little sticky and one by one wrap it around the ponytail and use one pin to secure each braid. Then we take a "bun cover" put it over the whole thing and secure it at the base with 4 - 5 hair pins making sure the hair pins pass under the elastic holding the original ponytail. This will stay up nice and tight until you take it out. Once the bun is up we take spray and smooth out the rest of the head and clip any flyaways. This will hold for days. I've done her hair had her go to school and sleep on it for a meet the following day and there wasn't a hair out of place.

Most of my gymnasts use the several little tiny pony tails along the front of their hair and then pull it all together in the back.

We've done that too. Just pull up small sections so it has a french braid look but it isn't braided. It adds the extra hold espcially for the long and thick hair.

The other way that works really good is to do a series of rubberbands down the back of her head. Pull a section back like you are going to do a french braid and rubberband. Pull another section and rubberband below that section (including the first section). Keep going until you have a line of rubberbands going down the back of your head and all your hair is contained.

This is how we do dd's hair for her regular workouts, her hair is very fine and thin and this style holds it wonderfully (plus it's pretty easy and quick to do).

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back