how to know if your gym isn't the best?? NEED ADVICE

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I keep seeing posts of gymnasts who say at first they went to a bad gym and didn't learn much. Then they switched and learned so much more. There's this new gym that opened up and its much closer than the one I go to now. My mom thinks I should switch since its a much shorter drive. Also the new gym is twice as big as mine and actually has 2 foam pits and a tumble trampoline. Also, I just got moved up a level and i don't like my new coach's methods at all and i feel like i wont advance as usual with her. However, I love all the other coaches. My question is how do you know if your gym isn't the best for you? and how do I go about seeing if the other new gym is better for me?

Since it's the same question, it probably doesn't need three threads....you want your answers all in one place, right?

A really bad gym won't last long as parents will pull their kids as soon as they realize it.

what makes a gym "good" or "bad" really is more of personal opinion. What might be good for my child may be bad for another. Think about a teacher at school some you would call good because how they teach really gets you motivated and you really like the teacher while others you might consider bad because you think they are too dry and boring. Where as another student might like the teacheer that is the "just the facts" and not care for the one with games and other silly gimics to get you to learn.

My DD was at a gym for years that we thought was a good fit for her but we had never really been to another gym except for meets then they hired a new coach who at first was great but after a year became a dictator and had views of coaching and what makes a "good gymnast' that were very different then what the owner had before. In the end the coach only wanted girls that she felt could place in the top 3 all the time and didn't need extra time to get skills. Neither of which was my DD so the coach kicked her off the team. We then went around to the other gyms in the area and really saw a difference in gyms out there. All had what looked like good programs but 2 my DD came out and said "I didn't like that gym" for what ever the reason she gave me was. One the owner had a dog that basicly was at the gym all the time and pooped and peed in the gym - Neither of us liked that nastyness. in the end it came down to 2 gyms she liked and I liked (both had to agree) one was 10 min from our house was a smaller gym the other 25 min from the house and was a bigger gym. DD chose the larger gym and I agreed out of her two choices the larger gym taught in a way that my DD responded to in a very positive way. Both gyms had people she knew from school, camp or what ever. We are still at this gym today and their philosophy and methods really have made my daughter shine and develop so much confidence. She is placing in the top 10 at all meets this past season in all events and usually places in thre top 5 all around. This is something in all the years she was at the old gym she had never done.

So in the end what is good, bad or what ever really is a matter of what fits you best. In the end it will be your mom that will decide what works best for you and for the family schedule. From what you described of the new gym and how you feel about your coach I would say get ready for a new gym and really give it a chance

I agree with Cher - it really is an individual preference many times...unless it is an issue of safety or abuse. Our coaches can be sarcastic at times, particularly the HC/owner. Generally, that fits our personalities (DH, DD, me). We also have 5 coaches who at any given workout could be coaching any level. While they all follow a "philosophy" and their methods don't contradict, that variety is something my DD likes. Also one coach tends to focus on floor and beam and another vault and bars. So, we get "specialty" coaching as well. None of our coaches baby the girls, so if someone was looking for a gym with a lot of handholding, stroking, or pampering this would not be the gym for them.

When it comes to methods of coaching anc how corrections are given, I think you need to see the coaches in action to know if it would work for you and if the way they describe things makes sense. Sometimes, things can get lost in language, so I personally think how they explain can also be an indicator.

I think what is "best" for someone is when she feels safe, comfortable, and welcome, and when she meeting the goals she has set for herself. If anyone of these is not occurring, then she needs to look elsewhere. there may not be a perfect fit but you want one that is as close to perfect "for you" as possible.

Our gym is not "the best" gym in the area but it the best for my dd. And she is thriving in it. It is possible that she may progress a little faster or have cleaner routines with another set of coaches but it's also possible that the move would hinder her progress and it's not worth risk...

Thanks everyone for the advice! I really appreciate it! Sorry about the three threads in a row! Im new here and at first it didn't show up so I kept posting it. Im not really sure how to delete them though...

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back