I know I should quit but I can't!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I'm an adult gymnast (almost 20) and I just started taking classes back in June 2010. I was a dancer before this for about 14 years, so I picked up a lot of skills fairly easily. I almost had my front tuck on floor, and then at the end of August 2010 I was working on them on tumble track and I sprained my ankle very badly. Since I rolled on the side of my foot and then on top, I got an inversion sprain and a high ankle sprain. It was so bad that I couldn't feel my ankle at all within about 10 seconds of hurting it because my entire foot and ankle and half-way up my calf was swollen. I went to the ER and got x-rays and nothing was torn or broken. It took over almost a month to be able to walk semi normally, and I had a lot of bruising on the outside of my ankle. I didn't go to physical therapy at first because I was just going back to school and was trying to juggle that and working, but I was doing everything I knew to rehab my ankle. I just started PT a couple weeks ago because I felt like I was stuck with the rehab (it's been almost 7 months since the injury now) and they said I was doing all the right things and that my ankle is fairly close to being back to normal. The main issue I still have is that my achilles and some other muscle or tendon or something in the back of my foot is very very tight and it really restricts my movement. I can't really jump on it because I can't plie that far when I land.

Anyway, just giving you plenty of background so you can answer my question properly.

My issue is that even if I do manage to get my ankle completely back to normal, there's a very good chance that I will sprain one of my ankles again because I've sprained both of them many times in dance (most were pretty mild and were completely healed in a couple weeks). I love gymnastics and it's something I've always wanted to do, and I would hate to give up already when I really haven't even had time to actually get into it (I've pretty much only been working on bars for the last 7 months). However, I really can't afford to have another injury like this, and I don't want to risk really damaging something and never being able to get back to normal.

Any advice?

Ok great that you are looking out for your heath if you really want to keep going you could buy 2 ankle braces or tape your ankles before practice (ask your physio how to do this) and that should prevent any major sprains do not mistake this for medical advice you should ask your physio what the best option is.

However, I really can't afford to have another injury like this, and I don't want to risk really damaging something and never being able to get back to normal.

This is the problem, nobody can guarantee you wouldn't ever have another injury. You have to weigh this versus how much you love gymnastics. If you really want to do it, your physio could advise you on how to look after your ankle and the how to train to get it back to normal, and teach you exercises to help prevent reinjuring it. But there is always a risk of injury, it goes with the territory. However, there is risk of injury with any sport.

Thanks for your input. Trust me, I totally understand that there is risk of injury in any sport--I tend to pick more dangerous sports for some reason (I also ride horses). My problem is that I know my injuries in gymnastics will be much worse than they probably ever would be in another sport. Luckily, it really isn't possible to injure your ankle riding horses. And I guess this is good that I've mentioned horseback riding, because that's actually one of the main reasons I'm scared of another serious injury in gymnastics. Horseback riding is something I love and am really good at and could continue for most of the rest of my life, as long as I don't seriously injure myself in gymnastics first.

Haha I guess I'm kind of answering my own question.

Oh and, yes I do have ankle braces. However, I still somehow managed to tweak my ankle a little the other day.

I just wanted to add that my own DD severely sprained her ankle over two years ago. It would seem to get better, then she would injure it again. Finally, after about 6 months, I decided enough is enough and she did go through 2 months of PT on her ankle. Happy to say, she has never reinjured it. I'm convinced that all that PT actually made it stronger.... now we won't mention the injuries to other parts of her body!

I'm not convinced gymnastics is more dangerous than other sports. I sprained my ankle really badly playing netball.

Injuries happen in gymnastics just like they do in any other sport or life activity, some people just seem more susceptible to them than others. Just remember that you need your body for the rest of your life, so treat it wisely while you're young!
My body was not built to handle gymnastics, or so doctors said. I had my fair share of injuries and then some during my time as a gymnast and ended up leaving the sport when I was 15. I often look back and think "what if I had stuck it out a little longer?" or other similar hypothetical questions, but I know the choice I made was in my best interests. My doctors had told me to give up 2 years earlier when a serious gym-related injury landed me in the hospital for 2 weeks, I refused to listen. I'm sure the injuries just would have progressed with several more years of additional pounding. After being removed from the sport as a gymnast for a quite a few years, the aches and pains still linger and I'm sure they probably will for a lifetime. But some people are much more fortunate than myself in that respect. I don't regret my years in gymnastics, I wouldn't trade the pains I sometimes feel now for the years I spent in the sport, and I still love gymnastics and thinks it's a great thing for people to participate in.
However, I'm not sure one injury shows that you are more injury prone than others, take longer to heal, whatever. It could just be rotten luck. Work at the PT, try to strengthen your ankle, and give gym another shot. Work closely with your doctors to monitor the pain and don't hesitate to go back if there is a problem. I'm sure they will provide crucial information as far as your body and ability to heal are concerned.

Mods can please close this thread now.

I've made my decision. Turns out I knew the answer all along...just wasn't what I wish the answer could be :[

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back