Parents I think I need a little help understanding it all......

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

kimkuzma2

Proud Parent
Hi- I'm new here and just have a quick question.... My daughter is 6 1/2, and has been in gymnastics since 2. She can do some high level skills (I think they are high level for her age), but she taught herself them- with a little home coaching from me- she does none of them at her gym (which is part of my frustration). She started doing front flips on our trampoline at age 2, taught herself a backhand spring at age 4, started doing unassisted back tucks with really decent form at age 5, can do an alright front handspring on the ground and wants to learn a front handspring front tuck on the trampoline- I said not yet- , she figured out a kip on her home bar a month ago, and just did a back handspring back tuck with really decent form for the first time at a trampoline park last night.

Here's my frustration. She learns these things, and is so excited and asks to show a coach at practice, and they say no- they don't practice any of these skills except handstands and back walk overs, and now this year finally, back handsprings. And with her able to do all of these other things, her team (level3) all performs at an average 8.5-9.2ish..... We get beat, and I'm frustrated- these are easy skills for her, and all of these other teams are 9.5s in the 7 and under groups, and my daughter and her teammates look great and earn 8.5s and 9.2s. I'm not sure her gym is the correct place for her.

So my questions:

1. I've never done gymnastics, but I was a diver and a coach at one point in my life. Are her skills only on the average, high average, or abnormally on the high side?
2. Where should I go from here? Anywhere??
3. Should I be even worried about this or should I feel- well, she's having fun, let her just continue to have fun?
4. I feel like she could be so much better than she is with appropriate coaching- heck- my limited knowledge of gymnastics coached her to here..... Or am I just crazy- she's only 6..... She loves the sport!!!!!

Thanks for your help..... I really am torn...

I'm pretty new to this all, too, so take my opinion with a grain of salt, but it sounds like she needs more basics, strengthening, conditioning which is why the coaches don't want her trying the higher level skills just yet. I have a 7 1/2 year old on pre-team training level 3 skills and pretty much her entire year last year (when she was 6) was spent on basics, form, conditioning, and slowly building up to skills. They'd rather the girls have a strong foundation than just start to chuck skills because they can. I would start to discourage her doing that stuff at home...as I say to my daughter 2 million times a day, "save it for the gym." Sure, she does handstands and round-offs and flips around on the bars at the playground but anything more than that should be under the eye of a coach, imho.

kimkuzma2 -

Please take the following in the spirit intended; I have been associated with this sport for almost 14 years. My daughter started at the lowest level and is now a level 10. The following come from many years of watching gymnasts and parents come and go.

First and foremost, take a deep breath. Second, stop "coaching" at home and letting her "learn" new skills. She will only have to re-learn them properly at the gym under a trained and certified gymnastics coach.

Backyard trampolines, trampoline parks, and anything of that ilk are not for the learning of serious gymnastics skills. In fact, these things can only cause more problems (injury, poor form, etc) than any good they do. I can almost guarantee that any skill "learned" at home is not with the proper form required for JO compulsory gymnastics. These supposed "learned" skills will just have to be un-learned and practiced correctly when it is time for them at the appropriate level in the gym.

You need to understand the USAG JO program - the lower levels do not learn big skills; they focus on the building blocks, strength, and form. If that isn't for your daughter (or you), then the USAG JO program may not be for you.

Lastly, you need to understand that your daughter is 6 and that there are many years to come if she stays in this sport. Please don't take this the wrong way, but you need to learn to relax and not push her to do skills that it is not time for. You need to trust her coaches.

Good Luck.

You should STOP coaching and spotting her at home! Unless you are a gymnastics coach, I don't know that I would rely on what you think is "good form". Gymnastics is so much about progression and not just an individual skill and the reason that her coach probably wants her to stop working upskills AT HOME is because of both safety and form.

I'm not even going to touch the idea of a 2YO doing saltos on a trampoline.

And your team is getting beat probably because of form, not above-level tumbling. Now whether or not you move her to another gym is your choice but keep in mind that some of these gyms that are beating you might have kids repeating compulsory levels. And your kid isn't even 7 yet so can't even compete all of these high skills because of age limits.

Please slow down. No one will care if she's the hottest 7YO L5. You want to see if she can survive until L10.

One other thing.....you shouldn't expect your DD to keep up this pace all the time. It's so exciting when they are young and learning skill after skill at the lower levels. Just don't get frustrated when she inevitably hits a brick wall. My DD shot ahead of all her peers at a quick age but in the end it doesn't matter. They've all almost caught up to her. Progress and skill acquisition slows down once the skills get hard.

At the age of 6, the highest level she can compete in JO is Level 3. The hardest skill they compete in this level is the ROBHS.
Compulsories are all about perfecting the text as written. You can have all of the skills in the routines, but if they aren't performed perfectly, there would be some deductions.
Just breathe. Don't worry about the higher level skills. Don't encourage them at home either. They will NOT help her anytime soon.
Good luck.

Lastly, you need to understand that your daughter is 6 and that there are many years to come if she stays in this sport. Please don't take this the wrong way, but you need to learn to relax and not push her to do skills that it is not time for. You need to trust her coaches.
It's such a long journey; allow it to progress. Most of us that have been in a long time remember the early days when we stressed over pace, when skills would finally be worked on, or when skills would be acquired, or whether Sally was progressing faster than Susie, etc. Years later, so little of that matters. Many of those girls you were looking around at are gone from the sport. The early struggles look like distant memories, replaced with new struggles, and most of us wonder why we worried so much about it so early on.

We say all this not to belittle what you're feeling, as most of us felt it, but to try to steer you away from worrying about it, as most of us have learned that we shouldn't have expended so much effort worrying about it, and we want to save you the stress.

There are many things to consider when looking for a team. Scores is only a very small part of the equation (especially at the compulsory levels). I would look closely at the higher level optional gymnasts. Do they have many L8-L10s? How do they perform? Have they grown with the program or are they new to the gym?

Gymnastics is not a sprint. I know plenty of girl who were stars at L3, but crashed and burned in a couple years. 6 yo is so young - she has plenty of time to progress. As others have said, doing a skill and doing it well are completely different things. Trusting the coaches is essential, so if you have concerns you should address them with the gym owner or coaches and determine whether it's the right environment.

Remember, the "better" gym may bring a higher rate of burnout. More hours take a physical and emotional toll. Just make sure your child is having fun -- especially this young.

At the age of 6, the highest level she can compete in JO is Level 3. The hardest skill they compete in this level is the ROBHS.
Compulsories are all about perfecting the text as written.
And despite how "basic" it seems, the ROBHS has to be excellent to get the rest of tumbling going. Level 10's, who have been to nationals, in DD's gym still do drills for RO and BHS.

It's hard as a parent not to be excited when our children excel in a sport. I do think it's fantastic that your DD is so fearless and loves gymnastics so much but definitely understand that allowing her to keep trying these higher levels skills without a coach could set her up for injury & bad habits to unlearn. Plus, it sets her up for boredom when she's at gym. She will want to do more, when at this level, they want them to perfect the basics & learn proper form.

I will tell you what I've heard from many experienced parents at our gym, Levels 3 & 4 teach the basic form. Allowing them to perfect the form will give them the basics for optionals. So, have patience & encourage patience with your daughter.

If you aren't pleased with the scores, definitely take her to another gym to have her evaluated. But as others have said, she is 6 & in USAG the most she can compete at this age is 3.

I know at some gyms, they do fast track those kids they consider phenoms, so that is something to consider. Even at those gyms, they will only allow her to go on to bigger skills once the lower skills are
perfected though. Good luck to you both & hope you find what you're looking for!

You'll get lots of good advice on this board. The members are very experienced and knowledgable. I'm just the mom of a five year old, but I'd say your daughter's skills are above average - that of course says nothing about the form with which she's doing them. I'd take a good hard look at the gym you're at. Uptraining the more difficult skills is not uncommon in gymnastics, at least from what I've seen. Burnout is a risk, but so is boredom. Of I were you, I'd start researching the gyms in your area. Have you done that?

Coaching at home is bad. It is NOT a hobby, and you ARE NOT doing her any favors. If you like doing it, try to get a job coaching (not your DD)....seriously, i'm not trying to be mean....ive seen a lot of pre-school coaches who are moms, and they are excellent!
I did the trampoline thing and my son broke his ankle.....i have a thick skull, so the next time he tweaked his hamstring.....
A team mate sister just broke hew wrist...(almost a compound break) 3 weeks ago at a trampoline park...
stick with your backyard one if you must......i hope you have an enclosure.

How long can she hold a Handstand? How many presses can she do?

Last edited:
So my questions:

1. I've never done gymnastics, but I was a diver and a coach at one point in my life. Are her skills only on the average, high average, or abnormally on the high side?
2. Where should I go from here? Anywhere??
3. Should I be even worried about this or should I feel- well, she's having fun, let her just continue to have fun?
4. I feel like she could be so much better than she is with appropriate coaching- heck- my limited knowledge of gymnastics coached her to here..... Or am I just crazy- she's only 6..... She loves the sport!!!!!

Thanks for your help..... I really am torn...
1. Sounds like she can do a few above average skills for her age, but how is her form and basics? Also, lots of kids can tumble but their other skills one events lag behind.
2. Lots of choices. You could back off and see hows he progresses where she is. You could research other gyms. You may find that they are better or they hold kids at lower levels even longer to attain high scores. This could mean even slower progressions.
3. She's 6yo - let her have fun and stop making her disconnected by coaching her at home. Encourage her to have fun and work hard for her coaches.
4. If you really believe this then talk to other gyms. If you have no faith in her current coaches she is going to pick up on that.

Watching 200 RO at practice when you know she can do a ROBHS is frustrating but a necessary part of the JO programs. I have seen older girls go from rec to JO and not understand why they are doing 200 RO when they have their ROBHS. It has to do with gymnastics form and (I think) coaches wanting to see the mental toughness and coachability. If your child will do the boring basics for a coach they can teach them form AND they learn about your child. Is this a kid who smiles and who is happy to show her RO or is this a kid that will pout in line doing "boring basics"? Is this a kid who needs to go to the bathroom during the boring parts? It tells them a lot about who they are dealing with.
I have seen a child who did not like the boring basics leave our gym to go to someplace that promised a faster track and harder skills earlier and she can do the harder skills but unfortunately, those judges in the blue coats are looking for the boring basics and are not impressed by lack of form. As you progress you will find that your daughter does sound above average but that there are many gyms that have above average 6 year olds.

You probably understand that each person is so remarkably different from every other person that your inquiry here will not likely result in sufficiently specific analysis or advice for your situation. Of course, you describe talent and interest far above average. If you are coaching effectively and your coaching is optimal for your situation, then you know what to do. Take responsibility to study and be sure you know what the average gymnastics coach knows.

Also, be accountable for the results of your relationship with your daughter. If it improves with your involvement, stay involved.

In dealing with occasional crazy parents, remember there is enough room for EVERY girl to do well. If they each get a 10, we'll just build bigger podiums.

... If you are coaching effectively and your coaching is optimal for your situation, then you know what to do. Take responsibility to study and be sure you know what the average gymnastics coach knows.

^^^ That is the worst idea ever! No coaching at home, period. Leave gymnastics skill development at the gym under the watchful eye of a safety-certified coach.

My best friend (who coached two Level 10s to medal in 2014 Nationals and has been coaching since 1983) distilled a fact that you might observe thematically. He said, "Gymnastics is a jealous culture."

As in most cultures, too many people claim to know more than they do. Most people desire agreement far more than understanding. There's not much you can do about that, except to be strong.

^^^ That is the worst idea ever! No coaching at home, period. Leave gymnastics skill development at the gym under the watchful eye of a safety-certified coach.

Many of us have taken the USAG safety course and are safety-certified. While it is a pleasant course, a person can call 911 just as easily from home as from the gym.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back