Parents I think I need a little help understanding it all......

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Nervous, mocking, group-think is predictable in a culture where the value of egos is more important than trying to determine what is best for each person.

Just plain and simple reality of human weakness that we all share, but few can admit.

Honestly, I like the psychology you are trying to use. HOwever, common sense would dictate that much of this is true. You can learn lots of stuff at home, but can you learn it correctly? I could chuck a bhs as a teen, but I am sure a coach would have cringed and run at the sight. Competitive gymnasts should learn with a qualified coach, in an environment designed for that..

Putting people down in a group you are "new" to may be fun, but in reality, most of the people here have seen lots of stuff over the years and speak from experience.

Are you sure there's no points?

If I have told you once I have told you a thousand times, no there are no points, there will never be any points. Though I did like the perfect 10 at one point, so I suppose those kind of points were good, well until FIG came along and ruined those points. :D

Gosh this thread is so far off topic I think I need to give everyone, including me, a warning. <<<<< That is a warning to us all, get back on track before I close this madness down.

Reactions: sce
Admin note - I have deleted the last four posts, including my own, after my warning.

Thread back to the OP's topic or it is closed.

OP:

I hope you got some good advice from earlier. Sorry it got taken off topic.

At 6 she is limited on what level she can compete.and it is frustrating to see them competing something easier than they can do. But you will see that al the way through the sport. My son has some skills that he isn't allowed to compete this year, but will get to next year. Then he will be working on skills for the next year. It is all a progression.

Try to limit at home stuff. too many back walkovers, or too much too soon has been shown to lead to stress fractures later on in the back. Not always, but why risk it? Encourage the fun, leave her wanting more. Eventually it will all even out.

It never hurts to look at other gyms! But I will say that most gyms and most coaches, and most pediatricians/er docs will tell you to stay away from teh trampoline parks! They are quite dangerous.

Good luck in this journey. It is a long, confusing road, but so much fun to drive on!

Ok most people on here are not fans of our HCs theory and either was I to be honest, but I must admit it's working great for her. Also, keep in mind we are in a tiny gym in an area much less competitive than a lot of you guys. DD is competing Xcel Gold this year with the goal of scoring out of 4/5 and starting opitionals in the fall. So not sure about your area, but maybe that's an option? For DD it's been great since she can get practice competing bigger skills while working on the basics. Sorry if this is unpopular! Just a thought :) good luck!

OP - Clearly you have some questions as to the coaching ability at your gym. it is probably a good idea to get your child evaluated somewhere else. If only to answer your own questions about her ability. At age 6 the highest level she can compete under USAG rules is level 3, so your gym has her right where she needs to be.

to OP I feel you I have posted questions that have started debate and caused crazyness on these boards before, not on purpose but I have a brain injury and got excited and well, my excitednes and newness caused a mess. So I feel you there but to get back to your original posting: I too am a new and very excited mom with a child that went from not able to speak to anyone unless she was behind my skirts to a wonder (in my nonsubjective parent eyes) on the gym floor. The gym is the first place my DD has taken such an interest she does something without holding my hand, and THEN I had coaches saying WOW and getting me all starryeyed. So this is my new mom advice: My DD can "throw" a lot of tricks. A lot. More than they are working at her level. However, not being a gymnast myself or a coach what I was NOT seeing was the form. Toes not pointed here, and extra step there, hands not quite placed correct on another (which didn't cause problems on said skill but can as things progress to higher skills if not corrected). I had to have a coach from the gym take me out to coffee and explain to me that my daughter does have innate abilities beyond the "norm" (whatever that is) BUT she has never been professionally coached so little things like hand placement are having to be meticulously corrected before she goes any farther and does have issues. This may be where you are at. I do not know where you are financially but what I did was opt for two sessions of private coaching a week where DD can show her coaches her harder than the level class is doing tricks, get her pat on the back and then go on to drills and conditioning to correct any form problems. Private coaching is NOT advisable in every situation and is very very very (did I say very) expensive so I would advise looking at your situation carefully before going that route. However, what I have found is that by having a good working relationship with coach and owner of the gym I can usually get things explained in greater detail than "we dont do that here". So that may be something to work on too, though I will caution that some gyms have more open communication than others also. Just my two cents for what it is worth.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back