Parents I think I need a little help understanding it all......

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

It appears to be an administrator chimera. I.e., "you disagree with ME?? Then you must be that person I banned in the past?"

1. @dunno is not an administrator of this forum and therefore does not have the power to ban people
2. No-one said Stretch was banned, so I would ask where you got that info from ?
3. As this is a learning environment I would suggest that you use a better dictionary,

sorry skschlag, I'll be off to make tea now

Why ?

Are they not allowed an opinion ?

I was under the impression that freedom of expression, within the rules of the forum, was encouraged.

This forum has been going a very long time, I have been here a few years and I am new compared to others.

A forum, like other groups of individuals, takes on a personality and culture. There are norms of expression, abbreviations, cultural references and in-jokes that evolve over time. Just like any society, intelligent people don't barge in and complain about these values, they take time to educate themselves to see if they would "fit in", if they don't then they are free to move on.

darn it @skschlag , you jumped in as I was correcting my typos !;)
Why ?

Are they not allowed an opinion ?

I was under the impression that freedom of expression, within the rules of the forum, was encouraged.

This forum has been going a very long time, I have been here a few years and I am new compared to others.

A forum, like other groups of individuals, takes on a personality and culture. There are norms of expression, abbreviations, cultural references and in-jokes that evolve over time. Just like any society, intelligent people don't barge in and complain about these values, they take time to educate themselves to see if they would "fit in", if they don't then they are free to move on.

darn it @skschlag , you jumped in as I was correcting my typos !;)

Have you not reviewed the sequence of exchanges? The original poster is an accomplished coach, who is not going to ban gymnastics practice outside the gym. He is not wrong for doing so; he is not likely to believe in the worst fears and extreme hypotheticals posted in opposition. But, in the event that he was considering opposing those opinions at his own gym, he can first observe potential risks that people will dig in and attack and perform any number of logical fallacies to preserve their opinions and avoid discussing some broader truths.

It appears to be an administrator chimera. I.e., "you disagree with ME?? Then you must be that person I banned in the past?"

No you incorrect. The person in the past was banned for breaking the rules despite having many warning. Then he proceeded to rejoin no less than 10 times using new names each time. He had a particular way with words that constantly ruffled up the happy board we have.

Disagreeing with anyone is never an issue, breaking the rules is always an issue. Rules are set by the three admins, not one person, not a mod.

As the two above posters put it so well, sometimes we have people who join and fit in beautifully, some times we have posters who struggle with the type of place this is. That is totally understandable, real life is like that too.

Nobody has ever been banned for a reason other than breaking the rules. Since 2007 in fact.

Have you not reviewed the sequence of exchanges? The original poster is an accomplished coach, who is not going to ban gymnastics practice outside the gym. He is not wrong for doing so; he is not likely to believe in the worst fears and extreme hypotheticals posted in opposition. But, in the event that he was considering opposing those opinions at his own gym, he can first observe potential risks that people will dig in and attack and perform any number of logical fallacies to preserve their opinions and avoid discussing some broader truths.

OP is a diving coach not a gymnastics coach. These, while similar, are different sports. And there are LOTS of people on here that are parents and gymnastics coaches that are advising against coach your child at home. The reasons are laid out many times, quite well. OP can take tha advice or not. The fact remains that coaching athome is not advised. Kids need a safe place to be kids. When they are younger it is fun and exciting and they can't get enough. As they get older, and are doing 15-20 hours a week in the gym, they need down time and a safe place to land. So, as a coach you have to decide who you want to be at home. DO you want to be your child's coach, or your child's parent? it gets hard to separate the 2 when youare coaching at home.

He is building a dissatisfaction, even distrust in his child of her coaches though. While I'm not sure, even in this situation, if I think the coaching at home is a dood idea. If it is to continue it needs to be approached in a way that sets her up for success at the gym too. ie, "I know how to teach tumbling and want to teach you some fun things. At the gym they focus on different things and have GOOD REASONS for that, as they are building you into a complete gymnast." It would be good to have on open dialogue with her coaches as a well about why she's learning such skills outside their gym.

I also agree that it could be good to look into other gyms. Have full awareness that any gym may not want her doing tucks etc yet, but they may be better equipped to teach her the basics and build on that foundation than where she currently is.

Gymnastics is such an evolution....for the child AND parent. When my kids were young, helping with handstands, and mushroom circles and walkovers seem so innocent. For the most part it was but after years of innocent, sneaky coaching, I find it has actually taken a lot of the 'fun' out of walking on their hands at home, or messing around in the front yard with friends.
I am guilty of helping myDD remember her routines, so yes I am a hypocrite, like most parents of gymnasts. (Remember, we all know NOTHING about gymnastics right?)
I think more than anything, it violates the safety zone gymnasts feel when they are home with their parents . When they come home the last thing they want to think about is gymnastics. No matter how qualified you are, it will take its toll on your relationship. Parents who coach their kids IN THE GYM may have a better system because they leave the gym, and there is no more gymnastics....
If your DD needs some harmless help, I am sure you will do it regardless.....just ask the coaches so that at least you can actually be complementary. If they ask NOT to teach something, then don't.

As far as home equipment , even what you have, it is ALL useless past L4. The only thing that still gets the occasional use is my floor beam....my cats use it as a scratching post and if I take it away the couch is the next best thing.

The point I urge others to consider more deeply is that everyone is far more unique, than they are similar.

When you shared that your home beam is a cat scratch post, to me, that seems valuable in part--was it in fact used to help DD's cross handstand, the L4 cartwheel, Passe turns, or the L5 backwalkover? Or did it truly sit and wait for the cats... That fact would be helpful to anyone interested in actual experience.

To the OP, diving and gymnastics are very different. My dd reached level 10 before quitting for high school gymnastics due to multiple injuries and started diving at the same time. She's had to relearn many things about twisting etc to dive successfully. It is not the same as gymnastics. Why would your dd coaches not want to see the harder skills she can chuck? Probably because they don't want to encourage it. They might want her to perfect the skills she has. And she might need to fix the feet etc that you mention to score high but she might also has issues with form in her skills. I am just guessing based on my own experiences. Something that looks good to the casual observer might actually be marked down because legs weren't straight or toes weren't pointed or was too low to whatever.

I have a feeling that even though many, many experienced, established parents/coaches have told the OP that home gymnastics is not a good idea...for a variety of reasons...that just because ONE brand new person (never actually introduced and we know nothing about her) says its okay and to go for it, then the OP will. I'm not trying to be rude, I'm just pointing out the obvious.

We've seen tons of little dynamos come on here that are pushed and pushed by their parents...and they are out of the sport by the age of 8 or 9. Injured, burnt out, done.

My kids do not do anything beyond handstands, walking on their hands and circles on the pommel mushroom at home,. (my dd can do them, too :D) and we do not have a home trampoline. Coaches said no, so they don't. Period.

Maybe you should ask your dd's coach how he/she feels about skills at home?

My DD has had frequent "practice sessions" with her dad at home for nearly 3 years without any injuries and it has improved both her gymnastics and their time and relationship together.

However, her dad is an unusually intelligent person who first presumes he must study and learn--meticulously humble. I have since become a gymnastics judge and can attest that he is both competent and has a loving character. He also teaches her chess, boxing, and music. His positive reinforcement is creative and persistent (what pre-teen DD doesn't love positive reinforcement from her dad?)

I am grateful for the fact that we both earned doctorate degrees and, thus, work habitually to understand our experiences and choices. There are others like us, but apparently not in the popular majority.

But, looking back through history, have we not learned that the popular majority rarely advocates the most optimal positions?

Good luck to all of you.

My DD has had frequent "practice sessions" with her dad at home for nearly 3 years without any injuries and it has improved both her gymnastics and their time and relationship together.

However, her dad is an unusually intelligent person who first presumes he must study and learn--meticulously humble. I have since become a gymnastics judge and can attest that he is both competent and has a loving character. He also teaches her chess, boxing, and music. His positive reinforcement is creative and persistent (what pre-teen DD doesn't love positive reinforcement from her dad?)

I am grateful for the fact that we both earned doctorate degrees and, thus, work habitually to understand our experiences and choices. There are others like us, but apparently not in the popular majority.

But, looking back through history, have we not learned that the popular majority rarely advocates the most optimal positions?

Good luck to all of you.

It honestly seems to me that the only one intolerant of others' views is you. Multiple people here have said that they allow some practice at home - basic skills, stretching, etc... But there is a vast difference between COACHING and practice. DD is not allowed to throw BHS at home because it isn't safe. Sure, I can safely spot her, but why? I don't have a spring floor or mats, and honestly IT'S NOT MY JOB. I did dance growing up, so I can help her with arm position and things like that, but the reality is, all it does is make her irritated with me.

Our primary job is PARENT. Not coach, not anything but that. Your child should be able to come to you as his/her parent, and not worry about whether they are getting their parent or a coach.

And, what works for YOUR family, is not what works for most families. That doesn't make other families wrong and yours right. But have some tolerance for viewpoints other than your own.

"Indeed! You might have a jump on the issue of twisting for righties and lefties, which so many gymnastics coaches do not understand. It is inconvenient if your gymnast does anything other than right dominate and clockwise/right twist."

this is the one that got me. convoluted and absolutely FALSE. Eastern European Pedagogy.

as i have posted before, and that which has come from research and video statistics, the overwhelming dominant anything is left round off to left twist. that's all and no debating. the research is empirical. this includes for PhD's.

and the "scary" part in most of your posts is that you are a judge. Armageddon...

Last edited by a moderator:
To the OP: I agree with others who have said that your experience as a diving coach does not necessarily legitimize your ability to teach gymnastics skills to your young child at home. If you take some of the experienced coaches' advice on this forum, I think you will hear that teaching skills in a home environment can be dangerous and counterproductive. Additionally, from what some of the coaches on this forum have said over the years, in many related posts, your child could be developmentally too young to be training some of these skills.

"Indeed! You might have a jump on the issue of twisting for righties and lefties, which so many gymnastics coaches do not understand. It is inconvenient if your gymnast does anything other than right dominate and clockwise/right twist."

this is the one that got me. convoluted and absolutely FALSE. Eastern European Pedagogy.

as i have posted before, and that which has come from research and video statistics, the overwhelming dominant anything is left round off to left twist. that's all and no debating. the research is empirical. this includes for PhD's.

and the "scary" part in most of your posts is that you are a judge. Armageddon...

A blindspot certainly amplified by many eastern European coaches and their next generation of coaches; but more like an absence of pedagogy.

Would you be willing to direct me/us to the research?

Not researched based but in surfing, snowboarding and skateboarding left foot forward is called "regular" stance and right foot is "goofy foot".

To the OP: I agree with others who have said that your experience as a diving coach does not necessarily legitimize your ability to teach gymnastics skills to your young child at home. If you take some of the experienced coaches' advice on this forum, I think you will hear that teaching skills in a home environment can be dangerous and counterproductive. Additionally, from what some of the coaches on this forum have said over the years, in many related posts, your child could be developmentally too young to be training some of these skills.

I'd also like to add, if my child were a diver, and I was a former gymnast or gymnastics coach, I doubt my child's diving coach would want me letting my kid throw tricks into the neighborhood pool simply because I know what good form on a back tuck looks like. Why is the reverse any different?

A blindspot certainly amplified by many eastern European coaches and their next generation of coaches; but more like an absence of pedagogy.

Would you be willing to direct me/us to the research?

Sorry for the double post, but we haven't gotten to the point of twists yet as DD just completed L3, but we had more than one girl who was clearly dominant on the left side and did her routines the opposite direction. Coaches had ZERO trouble teaching them what to do, and it was never an issue of any of them doing it "wrong".

I agree ^^^. Watch practices. Kids are going every which way. I know our boys know which way they twist, circle and dismount off ps. NOt the coach's doing.

Honestly, if you think your coaches are so narrow minded, then maybe gym research is needed. not sure why a study on twisting direction would be relevant to the question at hand.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back