WAG I'm annoyed

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I can't think of any who really do not, unfortunately...and some will tell you they don't but be wary of code words like "fitness" and "condition"....
If I ever had any bit of sadness for my daughter whose gymnastic path won't likely turn out the way she wants (13 yo, will be repeating L8, not NCAA material), I never will again. I feel like she's been saved from misery after reading these comments about what it's like in the NCAA...

If I ever had any bit of sadness for my daughter whose gymnastic path won't likely turn out the way she wants (13 yo, will be repeating L8, not NCAA material), I never will again. I feel like she's been saved from misery after reading these comments about what it's like in the NCAA...
Yes, after reading experiences here and from other people, I am very glad my 14 year old's goals don't include NCAA gymnastics. She did want to try to do college gym at one time, but once she saw the recruiting process first hand, she decided the pressure is just too much.

She could still do gymnastics in college, albeit not D1 ....many schools have club teams that according to my daughter ( who did compete D1 and had a few friends on the club team) , those kids did have fun with their college gymnastics experience...they have practices and competitions so there's that as well, but the pressures of regular NCAA ( be it D1,2 or 3) aren't there.

My DD is obese on paper. 25-35 percentile for weight, not on the charts for height. When her pcp passed away a few years ago & we were looking for a new pediatrician, half of them brought the healthy eating habits to the exam room. Most of them said it was standard procedure for wellness visits, but the honest one, the one we chose, admitted that my DD appeared to be obese on paper.

Ridiculous. That is one beautiful and strong little girl! I'd die for those muscles personally. My husband and both my DDs are all "overweight" or "obese" as well with about 10% (i.e. next to no) body fat. Coaches should be better informed about psychological damage and long term health and motivation and pediatrician's should absolutely know better!

She could still do gymnastics in college, albeit not D1 ....many schools have club teams that according to my daughter ( who did compete D1 and had a few friends on the club team) , those kids did have fun with their college gymnastics experience...they have practices and competitions so there's that as well, but the pressures of regular NCAA ( be it D1,2 or 3) aren't there.

I have a former athlete on a club team at her college and she loves it. Practices are optional, meets are optional, once a year NAIGC hosts a national competition for all the club teams and most schools fundraise to attend. It's a great way to stay involved in the sport regardless of level attained.

My DD is obese on paper. 25-35 percentile for weight, not on the charts for height. When her pcp passed away a few years ago & we were looking for a new pediatrician, half of them brought the healthy eating habits to the exam room. Most of them said it was standard procedure for wellness visits, but the honest one, the one we chose, admitted that my DD appeared to be obese on paper. Luckily, her coaches have never said anything about weight, fueling her body, yes, but not weight.
92adf7fa1afbceb863e688ef6a61a939.jpg
10f9c85814a79725fa2598e2424d38e2.jpg

She looks great, tiny and strong. Any God doctor addresses the child not just the stats on paper. My formerly tiny boy, is now a slightly taller teen, with a lot of muscle. Doctor can see he is not even close to obese. She dies ask about nutrition but just to reinforce over the years a healthy food lifestyle. I.e. Do you eat vegetables etc. For my girl she stressed gaining weight! She's almost as tall as her brother but 30 pounds lighter. She is the kid that requires lots of high calorie foods. Many gym coaches would probably faint if they saw the foods she eats. Without them, she would literally have no energy though.

My da gym coach says very little about food. He has told da no ice cream or rupees right before practice. But that's more of a bag out issue than anything. ;) he's fine with ice cream after when he does not have to deal with him.

My DD is obese on paper. 25-35 percentile for weight, not on the charts for height. When her pcp passed away a few years ago & we were looking for a new pediatrician, half of them brought the healthy eating habits to the exam room. Most of them said it was standard procedure for wellness visits, but the honest one, the one we chose, admitted that my DD appeared to be obese on paper. Luckily, her coaches have never said anything about weight, fueling her body, yes, but not weight.
92adf7fa1afbceb863e688ef6a61a939.jpg
10f9c85814a79725fa2598e2424d38e2.jpg
1. If they are looking at percentile for weight, then they are doing weight for age. Same with height. It might help more if they looked at the weight for height chart instead. Then she wouldn't be off the charts.
2. It is true that muscle wieghs more than fat, so a compact child would weigh more.
3. Most professional athletes are "overweight" or even "obese" according to the BMI charts. And I mean the ones that have 6-pack stomachs too.

2. It is true that muscle wieghs more than fat, so a compact child would weigh more.
You've hit on a pet peeve of mine. Muscle does not weight more than fat. A pound is a pound is a pound. What muscle is, though, is more compact than fat. This means the same weight of muscle takes up less space, and by extension you fit more of it (and more weight) into a small body.

You've hit on a pet peeve of mine. Muscle does not weight more than fat. A pound is a pound is a pound. What muscle is, though, is more compact than fat. This means the same weight of muscle takes up less space, and by extension you fit more of it (and more weight) into a small body.
When people say that muscle weighs more than fat, they are talking about by volume. A cup of muscle weighs more than a cup of fat. Muscle is more dense is another way to say it.
Yes, a pound is a pound. A pound of feathers weighs the same as a pound of gold, but a pound of feathers will not fit in the same space as a pound of gold.
The fact that muscle weighs more than fat (per volume) is why some people fool the "Guess Your Weight" guy at Cedar Point.

KMA, that is what I say.............................. Really wouldn't entertain it for a second.

Another perspective - my DD is on a NCAA d1 team - an Ivy - so a bit different with different priorities. She has never been weighed, never been asked her weight and never been told what to eat. The coach does bring in nutritionists to speak and models very healthy eating which the girls respect when they eat as a team. BUT there are still girls on the team that are recovering from eating disorders, experiencing eating disorders or just not eating healthy. It's a tough disease with so many contributing factors.

When people say that muscle weighs more than fat, they are talking about by volume. A cup of muscle weighs more than a cup of fat. Muscle is more dense is another way to say it.
Yes, a pound is a pound. A pound of feathers weighs the same as a pound of gold, but a pound of feathers will not fit in the same space as a pound of gold.
The fact that muscle weighs more than fat (per volume) is why some people fool the "Guess Your Weight" guy at Cedar Point.

I know that *you* knew the difference, but some people hear the generic statement and take it as gospel. Having lost a significant amount of weight, I can't tell you how common it is for people to believe loiter ally that muscle weighs more than fat.

Just 2c to add. Skinny girls don't have it easy either.... they are reminded about not enough power, not tight, needs extra conditioning, etc. What coaches look for is that next ability to produce a skill, and weight may be one of the variables. A good coach should be able to work with different types of athletes though.
It may also be a matter of control and weight is just a thing that is easy to pick...because nobody is perfect.

During our recruiting heartbreak, we heard from 1 D1 school that they do not take gymnasts who wear larger than an AS leotard. This was a team who counted 7 falls at a D1 meet, so hard to understand why they limit themselves like that. More worried about body size than a winning team. SMH.

Simone Biles and Shawn Johnson are examples of body type that would not fit the bill that these coaches (and some doctors) are desiring, yet SO successful! It's ridiculous the standards they expect.

During our recruiting heartbreak, we heard from 1 D1 school that they do not take gymnasts who wear larger than an AS leotard. This was a team who counted 7 falls at a D1 meet, so hard to understand why they limit themselves like that. More worried about body size than a winning team. SMH.

Simone Biles and Shawn Johnson are examples of body type that would not fit the bill that these coaches (and some doctors) are desiring, yet SO successful! It's ridiculous the standards they expect.

That is so sad. And everyone knows how leotards run. My TEN (soon to be 11 year old) can wear an A/S in some leos, A/XS in others. And she is 50th percentile for height and 30th for weight, so definitely not abnormally sized for her age. So crazy!

That rules out both OG and YG (by the time she would be old enough). Good thing college gym isn't the goal.

Wonder if that's why many of the college leotards are so ill fitting?

I have 4 girls and 2 are skinny but super strong , 2 are more stocky but still strong and all 4 are all super healthy just diff body types. I am so glad our coaches just talk about eating healthy , they do require healthy snack at the gym since they don't have a lot of time but they need energy. They also love when the kids bring treats for birthdays and stuff and do encourage it since they belive kids should have treats.

As much as this statement disgusts me, be glad they told you up front and didn't send your kid there to get dumped on because, even though she stays on the beam, she wears an adult medium leo because she is an adult female with boobs and hips...the horror! One of our gym mates is at a D1 program that only buys "up to child XL" and tells the girls to deal with it...so as one poster asked, yes, this is why you see so many ill fitting Leos in NCAA because the coach is more concerned with the size, than the fit...

My daughter competed beam all through her NCAA career for 4 years and recorded ZERO falls in all home meets, and only 2 on the road ever .....but she couldn't help the aforementioned 7 falls in a meet team because she wore an adult medium leo....hope that school had fun eating the 3.5 points in deductions from the falls alone....

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back