Parents I'm becoming one of those gym parents

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

The key to NOT being a CGP IS trust, but not necessarily trust in the coaches.

As a parent, you need to trust that your child will grow and learn and evolve in the sport naturally, in their own time.

It's been said often and is worth repeating: motivation for this sport CANNOT come from YOU OR the coach, it must come from your child. If every parent who starts out on this journey could remind themselves of that OFTEN, there would be many more happy gymnasts (and probably coaches too!)

Parents who see their child's talent early on and fall prey to the push for the best gym/coaching/privates, etc. aren't actually helping.

I didn't discover CB until my DD was already an optional. And I will tell you why I am glad it worked out that way. Had I known ALL the things inquired about and discussed here, I'm not sure I would have been as successful as a parent of a gymnast. CURIOSITY killed the cat. Sometimes it's better to let learning (yours and your child's) happen the old fashioned way - live and learn. Too much "knowledge" can derail the journey in ways you might not even understand until years later.

I know there will be parents who will counter my points with specific examples, but I stick by it - I credit my ignorance in those early years, for my own happiness in this journey, and I'm a believer that my ignorance allowed my DD to grow into the gymnast she is today - she STILL is passionate about gym, but as importantly, respects the sport and what it has given her; STILL gets giddy when she learns a new skill. I revel in the fact that she is strong and a solid gymnast, but most of all a HAPPY girl. I do trust her coaches entirely, but most of all, I trust that SHE really wants this and she's proven she's got more than just physical talent to make it - her mental attitude and toughness never ceases to impress me. But don't think we didn't have our fair share of bumps in the road - we did.

The bottom line in being able to NOT be a CGP: just be a parent, not the manager of your child's sport. Go with your gut, but don't over analyze every little step of the journey. It's ok not to be at the top gym in your area when Suzie is a level 1,2,3,4 even 5. I'm speaking from experience - everything happens for a reason, and sometimes battling through is better than having an optimum situation set up for you. There is no absolute in this sport, only many shades of gray and being ok with gray is part of keeping sanity. My best advice to parents is to just relax and truly enjoy the joy the sport brings, especially in those early years. As the sport gets harder the foundation of feeling that this is a FUN sport must be there for these kids to continue on during rough patches.

Off soapbox. Thanks.

if you were to ask me what i thought the single leading cause of CGM is, it WOULD be the fact that for whatever reason, or just gut instinct, parents don't have a certain level of trust in the program where their children are. Conversely, and just as interesting, club owners/coaches don't trust the parents either. it is the merging of this fact between all of us where peace and tranquility are found in many gyms. it takes time for all.:)

I think my CGM moments came with my oldest DD. With little DD, I have learned to take things in stride. At least that has been my intentions throughout.
I 100% agree with dunno. I can see the distrust of some coaches coming in when they are approached with serious CGPs who believe they know what is best for their DDs/DSs. Even when the parents themselves have never taken a day of gym, they feel they know what route their precious gymnast should take. I see it in the schools quite a bit. Rather than let the teacher teach, these CSPs take it upon themselves to run their kid's academics.
I am so lucky to have little DD at a gym where she is blossoming. She loves her coaches and her sport. She is learning that although gym is fun, it takes a lot of commitment and hard work. These are things she can carry over into the 'real' world and use them to do whatever she desires. She is definitely not a stranger to hard work!
An occasional CGM/CGD moment may be inevitable, but keeping yourself in check by understanding this IS your DD's/ DS's sport will definitely go a long way in keeping you sane. If it becomes tough, attempt to put on that leo and turn a cartwheel. Those days of pain will remind you quick that "I can't do what she/he does! I'd better keep my mouth shut..."

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back