Parents Interesting article on what to say/not to say after a meet (game)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

wallinbl

Proud Parent
What Makes A Nightmare Sports Parent -- And What Makes A Great One | ThePostGame

I thought it was interesting that it talks about "Sports is one of few places in a child's life where a parent can say, 'This is your thing,’". I try to get DD to "own" her gymnastics - if she wants a private lesson, I tell her to ask the coach for it on her own (she's 8 and a bit shy, so that's taken some work). I want her to think about what she wants to do and figure out how to make it happen.

My wife does a good job of preventing my competitiveness from revealing itself to DD. Lucky me to have her keep me in check, or I'd be (more of) one of those parents!

I saw that posted on facebook today too. I was going to post it here, but you beat me to it! Great article!

I think it's hard not to talk about a meet in the car on the way home (unless DD brings it up) but I'm making it my new goal! "I love watching you do gymnastics!" That will be my new stock phrase.

I do love watching my daughter do gymnastics. Everytime I see her out there I think, "Wow that is so cool that she can do that." Even when I see a coach giving her a laundry list of corrections I secretly think... "Looked pretty darn good to me".

Funny thing is I don't think I have ever told her that. I am going to today. Thanks for sharing :)

Great article! In good time too because DD has a big meet this weekend. I'll make sure to tell her I love watching her do gymnastics afterwards. :) She's only 7 and knows nothing about the scores, has never asked what her scores were or anything so I feel like we've got it pretty easy :)

definitely good tips! I need to stop trying to figure out how the scoring of gymnastics works and just enjoy watching my dd.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back