Parents Is DD the only one still waiting to learn what level she will compete this fall?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Good question. :) Our fall schedule starts August 26. The HC is supposed to do the final levels evaluation on Friday, August 22nd. So.... we will find out our fall schedule 3 days before it actually starts... Nice.

I totally understand your pain. We never know our schedules till the week before they begin. Glad we aren't alone. LOL

Some of our girls that are on the cusp will move up to the next level after the first few meets, so Mid January. For 8-10 this doesn't matter because they practice together. For the lower levels, they would probably already be practicing with the higher practice group, but if not, then they would just change schedules. All of our girls L4 and up wear the same leo, so there is no need to worry about that either.

Good question. :) Our fall schedule starts August 26. The HC is supposed to do the final levels evaluation on Friday, August 22nd. So.... we will find out our fall schedule 3 days before it actually starts... Nice.

I think if I actually had a date, I might not have stressed out so much. At least you have that! LOL!
Of course, I know you're still stressing, for only 2.5 more weeks though!!

Don't know yet. Either 6 or 7. Our first meet isn't until November or December so there is still time. We will probably find out at the end of October.

DD still working BHS on beam. It is much improved this summer, but not ready for competition. Had giant, it went away, trying to get it back. Those are the two sticking points.

As one of the coaches said, it is tough because we have girls (like mine) you are very strong on a couple of events, or still working a couple of skills. So our HC tends to wait until the very last minute, which makes us all nuts...but we understand why he waits. :)

Where there is a potential choice, I like this idea of an express multi-factor analysis--getting input, and then weighing those factors.

Our gym's coach said there will be a "skills test" near the end of this month and then she will let everyone know.

Nope, If you didn't have full routines on all events done reasonably well by May, no competing starting in September. It seems rather Draconian until you find out that many of the meets have to be entered into by early June.

OP here....

DD is moved up to level 4! She is one happy girl! Only about half of her level 3 group got moved up. They compete fall and spring so we will have to wait and see for when she is ready for competition. She has all her skills, now they have to be pretty, fluid and, well, perfect.... lol

My girls are still in limbo between 6 & 7 but we don't start competing until January, so there is still time…but not much!!

Raenndrops.... Yeah! That's great! So glad you found out!
I agree... for YG, it was Xcel Gold or not competing... she wasn't going to do a 4th year at the same level - no way... but we have a non-compete class for team level gymnasts - all skills, no routines and they work the progressions based on where they are and where they want to go.

But with the mandates being gone, there is NO moving up unless you have ALL the skills. That puts an additional 8 girls (out of 39 returning girls) in limbo. HC has decided that our L6 and L7 optionals are all repeating... Most Xcel Gold are repeating (OG and one other will move up to Platinum - the other girl is on the Middle School team and they basically use Platinum rules and their season ends just before our season starts. A third girl MAY do Platinum... she is on the High School team and competed Gold last year. She has the upgrades for Platinum- it is just deciding if it is worth it to compete 4 meets.)
There are 21 girls on the Middle school team. 19 of them were on our team last year and they will have to decide whether to stay in Xcel... and compete Gold or Platinum depending on skill development this season OR go back into the JO levels and either move up or repeat their old level. I think those destined to repeat will compete Gold. If they were going to move up to L5 (2-3 of them), they will go back, compete until they get the minimum score, then move to L6 with their MS routines.

Well we just found out DD will be competing the first 1/2 of the season at a Level 3, second half (following state meet) will compete level 4. She has all of her level 4 skills, but the kip needs cleaning up-- so I totally get it. My DD is taking it pretty well!! She scored top 3 in her age division in most of her meets last year (but I think she only did 4 total ) in her first year competing.

The only thing I don't quite understand is that a few of DD's friends were moved up to level 4 and yet they are still missing some skills.... I figure the coach has a plan though. DD's friends are a couple years older too, so maybe that's a factor also.

DD still doesn't know if she will be moving up or not. She has all the skills to do silver, but her coaches say she is young and it might be wise to let her gain more experience. We won't find out till October.

The only thing I don't quite understand is that a few of DD's friends were moved up to level 4 and yet they are still missing some skills.... I figure the coach has a plan though. DD's friends are a couple years older too, so maybe that's a factor also.
It does sound like she has time. They can work to get her skills looking great. It is possible too that they are hoping to have her do really well at level 3, score out of 4 and next year do level 5.

My dd will compete level 3,again! But she was struggling with bars. We made a gym switch and she won't compete first meet due to new coach getting her "conditioned". So we start January!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back