Parents It's that time of the year again......

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

wallflower

Proud Parent
We have seen an influx of kids moving from other gyms in the area. Lots of kids trying out from other teams and a few that quit or left for other gyms. It's always an interesting time to see how things will shape up for next season.

Anyone else seeing the same thing? Anyone here planning a gym move anytime soon?

We have that at our gym. Mostly optional girls.

Every awful story begins with "we were on beam and..."

Yup. I haven't been there since dds completion season ended so the other day I went early to pick her up and noticed a few new girls plus all the girls who just moved up. Fun time for all :).

We haven't lost anyone. Gained a L9/10 who's family is moving here from out of state.

There is only one other gym in town so we don't get a lot of switching. So our only new kids are the new level 3s. We are loosing three to graduation, two are going to compete in college :)

We just changed gyms. 3 other kids from our old gym also swapped to this gym. I know that a few other girls from our old gym at the compulsory level also left and went ot other gyms. A lot of the level 9/10 boys from our old gym followed a coach to yet another gym. I feel really bad for the HC because I really like him.

At our new gym I have heard that a few kids have left; but it doesn't look like many.

Not too many changes with gymnasts yet other than the few that quit and a whole host of new/pre team members. However, a beloved lower level coach resigned last week, my dd's favorite PT optional coach will be leaving at the end of the summer (FT school teaching position) and a new gym is opening up across town. So....it will be interesting to see what changes happen by the time school starts.

I really hope that Susie's parents take her to a new gym asap.

Our preteam Susie's parents did just that. Yippee!

Unfortunately, we are also losing at least one, possibly two, more non-Susies from preteam thanks to an inexperienced coach who is mean to the itty bitties (the other coaches are not mean, but they don't coach preteam any more).

On the topic of gymnasts moving gyms, does anyone's gym have a policy that if you do a trial at a gym you are not welcome to come back? I understand this during competition season and our handbook does state that team is a year-round commitment, but generally the end of the school year & beginning of summer is when gymnasts may consider making a change. I'm not sure how a gymnast is supposed to see if another gym would be a good fit without trying it out.

I think it is quite common not to be welcome back once you have tried out. We have heard a lot of stories here on CB. Even just looking can be tricky. I think the reason I hear once was that if you are thinking about leaving you are no longer committed to the gym 100% and will never be totally happy there again. Time to move on for everyone's sake.

We checked out a couple other gyms when we didn't think they were pushing my oldest hard enough in her rec classes. She is quite outgoing and wanted to compete. That summer they moved her up and we committed to twice a week rec. She is now on team and on track to progress at our gyms typical rate.

I do think there is a difference when changing gyms at rec level vs. Team level. I'm not positive; but I don't think our head coach even knew when we went for an evaluation at the new gym. My girls' coaches knew because I actually discussed it with them first. I am almost positive that had we decided not to swap that we would not have lost their spots on the old team simply for doing the evaluation at the other gym. The hc even asked me to reconsider and to sleep on it before making the final decision.

I do think there is a difference when changing gyms at rec level vs. Team level. I'm not positive; but I don't think our head coach even knew when we went for an evaluation at the new gym. My girls' coaches knew because I actually discussed it with them first. I am almost positive that had we decided not to swap that we would not have lost their spots on the old team simply for doing the evaluation at the other gym. The hc even asked me to reconsider and to sleep on it before making the final decision.
==
Depends on the coach, I try to keep my kids. It's a lot of work for the coaches to build a kid, and we do get attached to them. Nothing worse then doing all the ground work for a child, putting solid basics into them and then having them leave.
But I know some coaches who if they find out a child did a tryout at another gym, remove them from the team. And really, neither approach is wrong. Attempting to keep an unhappy parent, usually leads to problems in the long run, (they usually leave in the end), and booting a child for trying out at another gym, just may be a case of an uneducated parent, who just needed to see another program, or hear from another coach.

Our new gym (we switched from non-USAG this summer) is only just entering their 3rd year with USA WAG. We are seeing a tremendous influx of gymnasts at new level 4 and above. There is a high level of energy and excitement in the program at this time. It is really fun to feel a part of it!

Outside of my daughters group, I have no idea really what changes take place in gymnasts at our gym. If it's a level that I see practicing at the same time, I will *maybe* notice a new face, but I don't know how you guys can keep track of all that!

We are finally making the switch and I discussed it with our coach before tryouts. She would have heard about it anyways since one of the gyms owners is a good friend of hers. I hate that we are leaving but the highest level we have is 6 and all of those girls are leaving. Coach continues to express desire for optional teams, but doesn't really have the focus required. Now I am stressed about which gym to go to because I only want to do this once!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back