Kind of private, only females read please

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I just turned 14, and I still haven't started "flowing" yet, if you know what I'm talking about. My health teacher last year said that some really hard training athletes, LIKE GYMNASTS, never start flowing. I know that's not going to happen with me because I don't train that hard. But I really just want to get it over with and it still hasn't happened. I haven't done gymnastics almost all summer, but I also do diving. Do you think gymnastics really slows down girls getting their periods? Thanks!

The only thing I will say is that when you put up a thread with a title like that I can guarantee every lurker on the CB will read it.The best person to talk about your periods to is your Mom or even a female coach as they certainly have been there.

Girls get their periods anytime between 8 an 16 and all of that is within the normal range. IF you are very concerned your doctor is the person to talk to.

Last edited:
I spoke to our pediatrician about this yesterday. She said no, but it keeps body fat from building up and that keeps the process from starting. She also gave me some signs to look for-once the breast start budding then you have 2 years til your period starts. She said everything is in the normal range. Talk to your dr about it. Our ped. spent a while talking to my daughter who just turned 11 about it. She said that she hadn't even begun the process it.

Very athletic girls and women may have too little body fat to sustain their cycles. A low percentage of body fat is the biological reason some gymnasts might start later than their peers. You can always talk to your mom or doctor if you are concerned. Take care.

Bog made a good point be careful what you post. That aside, ask your mom when she started, that can play a role and talk to your doc if you're the concerned. In the meantime don't fret too much:cool:

Thanks my mom started when she was like 12 I think so I'm two years behind already. And my breasts started budding probably a bit more than two years ago. Well high school gymnastics and diving season doesn't start until december so maybe it will happen when I'm not doing any sports in the fall

The issue you are refering to regarding girls working out too much and having too little body fat is call female athlete triad syndrom see here Female athlete triad - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This is something to discuss with your doctor. I do disagree with the article saying you have to have an eating disorder to have it, I think sometimes female gymnasts just don't eat as they should or as much as they should not having an eating disorder just because they don't understand their bodies needs. If you do have this is can cause a lot of issues mainly bone loss that can lead to Osteoporosis. Then again you are 14 like another poster said girls vary quite a lot. It could be nothing more than you get to enjoy a few extra years of period freeness! Trust me it is no fun when you do get it. Check with your Mom see what she says and maybe make a doctors appointment to make sure everything is good.

Three pieces of advice:

1) For questions about your period, talk to your mom, your doctor, or a female coach

2) For medical questions in general, seek advice from your doctor, not from random strangers on the internet

3) Never ever ever post anything on the internet that you wish to keep private.

I'm going to lock this thread -- if you would like it deleted (as have several in the past who have created similar threads), contact myself or bogwoppit and we'll handle it.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back