Kip specific conditioning

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Does any one have any specific conditioning routines that are for the glide kip. I remeber reading an post on here and someone was given a conditioning sheet by their coach for their DD and would be interested in knowing what was on it . i have a chin up bar btw.
Thanks

A few I can think of:
loads of leg lifts
hang in pike and hold toes by bar (don't touch the bar with toes though)
Hang in pike as above but push legs towards ceiling and back down again, all the while holding legs against the bar
Have DD Lie on the edge of a bed on her back, so that her legs are not touching the bed. Hold arms straight by ears (she will need to hold a stick or broom handle to mimic bar) lift legs up in the air, then over the head so toes touch the stick. Push ankles into the stick she is holding and sit up, keeping stick in contact with legs all the way up. she should end up standing in a dished shape, with the bar by her thighs. (This is basically the action of the kip - doesn't require strength but helps with understanding the timing.

Work up to a 30s L-hang and 10s V-hang (toes to bar). The shoulders must be relaxed so their shoulder is shrugged to the ear without any angle (shoulder flexion). Head should be neutral.

Doing against a stall bar, wall, or having a partner push behind the gymnast at the lats so they can lean back is necessary.

However, we just had a girl get a kip yesterday who can do none of these and we have a few girls who have a consistent ok kip who cannot lift their toes to the bar and have a poor L-hang.

Kip is a timing skill. You need to generate as much swing as possible and then bring your legs from ankle to the hip without sticking out the head while keeping tension with the arms.

Make sure when your bring your legs to the bar they get close enough. Brush the bar with the hair on your legs. Don't slam your legs into the bar. Too many girls don't bring their legs close enough or they let them drop after doing so.

Practice glides and do leg lifts. Getting lots of spots on them will help to get the feel.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back