WAG Learning routines?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

mom2newgymnast

Proud Parent
My dd has only been on team (level 2) for a couple of months and I'm still figuring things out. Her gym competes early Sept-Dec and they have a judges training/mock meet in mid August (6 weeks away). As far as I can tell, they haven't started learning their routines yet. I was just wondering in general how many weeks it takes your dd to learn routines? I know level 2 is very beginner and I have looked online to see what the a level 2 routine looks like on floor, beam and bars. I've watched practices here and there and I know they are working on all the different components of the routines. Just wondering when they will start putting it together. :)

I started my level 4s last week for an early November start to meet season. But that's so I can go really slow. Normally I'd probably wait until mid August.

We would start about two months before the meet season putting the routines together. Most kids get it down really fast, especially the early levels. Plus that mean you have just that much less time time to hear that horrid music over and over and over again :)

My dd is in a similar situation. They compete in Oct.and haven't started routines. I don't think it will be a problem. She was in cheer for two years and they didn't learn routines until a couple months before comp.

They can learn the whole routine in 1 or 2 practices. It seems like as long as they have the skills, it's easy to put together. At DD's gym they have a meet at the beginning of Sept and have just started doing a few floor and beam routines once a week. They do the bar routine many times over at every practice though.

I posted almost the same question around this time last year. :)
DD's first meet was Oct. 20, and they hadn't started learning the routines until the first week of September. So, about 7 weeks total. Their reasoning for starting so late is that they still don't know who is going to compete what level, it's usually decided at the end of August, based on the skills.

My dd was like that last year - partly because the routines were new and the coaches didn't have them till later than normal, but mostly because of how they teach them at our gym. From what I can tell, they teach all the skills in isolation first (and sometimes isolated conditioning moves to lead up to the skill depending on how advanced the skill is). Once they have the skills in place, they start stringing together the skills in 'chunks'. At the very end they link the chunks together, then at the very last minute, they turn the music on! LOL

DD's team hasn't started either, but will within the next week. The first meet is in October. DD learns the routines quickly, but there are some girls take longer, and this was an obvious issue last year for the first few meets. It makes a parent nervous!

My oldest dd's next competition is at the beginning of October and they have started work on the beam routine and a small part of the floor exercises but haven't done a whole lot yet, they are going to be starting summer training in just over a week and that is when they will work more on the routines.

My youngest told me that she has a competition in November (her first one) but we have had no official word yet and they haven't started to do any routines but that might change when she starts her summer training like her sister.

If it makes you feel better, we hold a rec gymnastics camp... 5 days long (2 hours a day). Day 1, the gymnasts are evaluated and split into groups to work on skills on 3/4 events. Day 2, they work on skills on the skipped event and 2 others (3/4 again). Day 3, they start learning a beam and a floor routine plus work on 1 other event. Day 4, they do all 4 events, working hard to learn their routines on beam and floor. Day 5, they have the first hour to stretch and briefly hit all 4 events before the parents come for a "showcase" where they present their beam and floor routines before having open gym until the end of the 2nd hour.
There are 4 groups.
Group 1 - Learns the L1 routines on beam and floor.
Group 2 - Learns the MODIFIED L2 routines on beam and floor.
Group 3 - Learns the L2 routines on beam and floor.
These 3 groups get to use whatever music they want with their routines... I came home last night and cut down Call Me Maybe and Starships even further for them.
Group 4 - Learns MODIFIED L3 routines on beam and floor... Modified in that they leave out the BHS on floor and only do a 3/4 HS on beam.

Thinking back to last year when DD was a Level 2, they started putting the routines together fully in August. Our mock meet was October and 1st meet was early November. They took all summer breading down the elements of the routine and solidifying skills, such as handstands and bridge kickovers.

We have the same schedule this year as a Level 3 -- mock meet in October and 1st meet in November. Again the routines haven't been put together yet.

My daughter has a home beam and loved looking ahead on Youtube tutorial videos and just running through it on her own at home :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back