Parents Leaving a gym because of level they want them to compete?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Disagreements about competiton levels actually seem to be a pretty common reason that people switch gyms IMO. Like a situation where a kid should be a certain level, but their current/old gym isn't going to compete that level that year for whatever reason. I know my daughters gym had 3-4 new gymnasts transfer in from other gyms one year just because they were having a L6 team! Also, some gyms have certain requirements for level mobility that are more stringent than others (like some draw the line at state qualification at the previous level, some want a 36aa at the previous level, some just want all or most of the skills of the next level, some want the ability to score a certain score at the next next level, etc.), and when a parent feels that it's better for their particular kid to move up than repeat a level, then it is their perogative to leave...and I see that happen a lot too...people switch cause their kid would be level X at gym A, but a level Y at gym B. Since ultimately the parent is paying the bill, and it is their childs career involved, I don't see anything too wrong w/ moving a kid over these reasons (yeah, it's bad in cases when the kid is CLEARLY not ready for the next level, but in that case it's unlikely a new gym would promise such a thing anyways). Just my two cents.

I think you are absolutely right that this is a very common reason to leave a gym. Almost every kid who came to DD's team this year from another gym left the old gym due to this reason. I can see some cases where it is justified. I just don't get it ever being the sole reason for leaving. Because in the end it won't matter. If you have a gym with great coaches, positive interaction and you previously had no issues, it just seems crazy. And to be clear this is not a situation where the wanted her DD to repeat a level. The child competed level 4 this fall, will compete level 5 next fall, but the mmom wanted her to start competing 5 in January.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back