WAG Leg lifts

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

E

Ex member

My dd's group has been encouraged to do some strength / conditioning exercises at home, usually the coach will decide what she wants the girls to do, this time she is letting the girls choose their own based on what they do at the gym.

DD is lucky enough to have a pull-up bar to use at home when she wants to/ needs to. One of the exercise she has chosen are leg lifts, she does 25 of them, she doesn't do them from hanging, she reaches the bar by standing on tip toes and the then lifts her legs to the bar and touch the front of her ankles to the bar, she returns to tip toes position between each one, she does this so she can regrip the bar as she finds it hard to hold on to (not the same as the A bars at gym she keeps saying). Is there any benefit to doing leg lifts like this? She started off by doing 10 but found out she could do more and 25 is the number she got to before she couldn't lift her legs any more. When she does this she said she can feel her tummy muscles working.

Everything helps!!! So definitely a good idea. But you need to remember that Leg Lifts on Stall Bars are much harder than Leg Lifts on a free hanging Bar. Because your shoulders can move behind. I know people who can do 10 to 15 on a free hanging bar but none on the Stall Bars!

Also, if she can already do 25 on your home bar, let her try doing leg lifts from L to L. So lift the legs that the toes touch the bar, then go down again, but not all the way but stop at 90°, and up again. They are MUCH MORE INTENSE! (If that works, because you said she can't hold on to the bar)

Thank you for the great idea, dd doesn't do any gym homework on gym nights but I will ask her if she wants to try them tomorrow. We have a pull up bar that screws into fixed cups on her doorway, she finds it hard to keep a grip as she keeps slipping (even using the foam grips that are on there), she has tiny hands so that doesn't help much either, she can do around 3 -4 before losing her grip so that might be enough to try the L to L leg lifts.

Could she perhaps use her "gloves and straps" (if your gym use these)? My DD has a similar bar and finds it easier with those on.

Keep checking the bar though...more than once it has loosened in the doorframe so I tend to stay with her and tighten it every now and again.

My dd's group has been encouraged to do some strength / conditioning exercises at home, usually the coach will decide what she wants the girls to do, this time she is letting the girls choose their own based on what they do at the gym.

DD is lucky enough to have a pull-up bar to use at home when she wants to/ needs to. One of the exercise she has chosen are leg lifts, she does 25 of them, she doesn't do them from hanging, she reaches the bar by standing on tip toes and the then lifts her legs to the bar and touch the front of her ankles to the bar, she returns to tip toes position between each one, she does this so she can regrip the bar as she finds it hard to hold on to (not the same as the A bars at gym she keeps saying). Is there any benefit to doing leg lifts like this? She started off by doing 10 but found out she could do more and 25 is the number she got to before she couldn't lift her legs any more. When she does this she said she can feel her tummy muscles working.

Those chin up bars are more slippery than a wood bar. If she has tiny hands she probably needs to build up her grip strength too. Every time she regrips tell her to hook her hands over as much as she can so the palms are on top of the bar, not fingers on top. Ask her to do 2 or 3 from dish without putting her toes down, to help her build up her grip strength. Make sure she does toes to bar not ankles to bar and head in all the time. But yes she will gain a lot of benefit from doing them at home so keep going.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back