WAG Level 3 bars

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

ac7179

Coach
Proud Parent
Are gymnasts required to stop after the glide and then chin up, hold, pullover?

I don't read the text that way but kids that do it that way seem to score better than those that glide, feet hit the floor, then immediately pullover.

I don't actually know anything about the level system, but I suspect by stopping after the glide you show that you are really pulling up and not jumping?

I'm interested to see the answer. My daughter stopped; but I thought it looked better with the kids who who kind of punched to the pull over.

My daughter's team all stop and then pull over. She says it is so that they can show a controlled pullover...but she is 6!

Two acceptable techniques per the compulsory text:

1. Stand, pull up, pullover

2. Use of a straight leg "punching" action

It is not acceptable to "jump" - i.e. bend the knees prior to performing the pullover.

Nor should the arms bend prior to the feet contacting the floor, which is a common error seen when the kids go back quickly into the pullover.

So I can't really answer about scoring higher, it really doesn't matter if their arms and legs are straight, they do a straight hollow glide, and then pullover in a straight hollow shape.

Had that very discussion with a judge at a meet. My girls would glide, stand, and then pull over. Almost everyone else was doing the 'bounce' and seemingly not getting deducted. The judge said that was allowable, so I went with the old proverb 'when in Rome, do as the Romans do.' I don't agree with it, but it does make it easier. So we train the old way, and compete the new way. My girls say it's so easy that way it seems unfair. Oh well. :)

I never even thought about this when DD was in that level - she was so short her feet could barely touch the floor after her glide swing, so a bounce was never possible - she had to pull up with her arms only. I guess I never paid attention to what the taller girls were doing......

I never even thought about this when DD was in that level - she was so short her feet could barely touch the floor after her glide swing, so a bounce was never possible - she had to pull up with her arms only. I guess I never paid attention to what the taller girls were doing......

Be careful, made that mistake too. Had a little 5 year old who would glide and then do a little long hang pull over because her feet wouldn't touch the floor, so the judge was nice enough to tell me that was a deduction if her feet didn't touch the floor before the pull over. :/

Be careful, made that mistake too. Had a little 5 year old who would glide and then do a little long hang pull over because her feet wouldn't touch the floor, so the judge was nice enough to tell me that was a deduction if her feet didn't touch the floor before the pull over. :/

Luckily she could still touch (mostly with her toes), but not enough to push off and get any bounce.

When I was in level 4 which is I belive the same as level 3 now we were told to never jump or punch, and if we did we'd get a deduction for not showing control and strength. Punching for the pullover was considered cheating. I don't know what the code states now however.

Pretty much a lot of time we've had glide swing pullover as the mount a punching action has been allowed. That was a pretty early clarification that was allowed per the last compulsory text as well (it isn't part of the new routines). You can't and could never "jump" - bend knees. Of course we're still discussing this like 9 years later and the text states word for word "the gymnast may come to a momentary stand or use a "punching" action to initiate the pullover" so I guess there was confusion when you were in level 4 as well. Or maybe your coach just didn't want you to do it that way. But there is no question as to whether or not punching is/was allowed. It is.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back