Level 4 Beam Dismount

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

D

drivingmom

Hi,

Just wondering what the deduction is when a gymnasts does not turn on her level 4 dismount and just goes straight down from the handstand? Then gets back up and completes it.

Thanks for your help.

Going the wrong way is a fall. If she doesn't get up and complete the skill there would be another deduction for omitting a required element (depending on the judge)

I think this is "failure to complete the element" which would be .6 plus .5 for the fall. I think it would only be twice the value of the element (1.2 in this case, if I recall) if they omitted it completely. It's a pretty set deduction anyway. I would not expect the judging interpretation to really vary much.

This is actually a situation that is spelled out in the deductions pages in the JO book. So, there actually isn't too much of a judgement call for judges to make.

Failure to complete dismount (these deductions do not include body position faults):
When the gymnast attempts but fails to complete the dismount, apply the specific deductions as listed for those phases not performed.
EXAMPLE: Attempts dismount, does not attain vertical, then falls:
Deduct:
Up to .3 (failure to attain vertical)+
.1 (not held one second) +
.1 (incomplete 90 degree turn) = 0.50 + 0.50 (Fall) for a total of 1.00

These deductions ONLY APPLY if the gymnasts does not get back up and complete the dismount. If the gymnast falls and then gets back up and does a complete dismount the judges will just take body position deductions + the fall on the first attempt, but not any additional deductions for not turning.

Hope this helps or makes any sense at all!

Also note that these deductions assume that the gymnast was nowhere near vertical before falling. If the gymnast normally makes the dismount and totally kicks around the side, I'd definitely have her repeat it. However, I've seen situations when the gymnast gets stuck in the HS (e.g. holds a vertical HS for 1 second+), and then goes the wrong way. In this case, I probably wouldn't have my 4/5 repeat it since she was only missing the incomplete turn.

I read those deductions so if she hold the handstand perfectly then does not complete the turn it's just .10 off? Or is it considered a fall plus .10? She does get up and redo. Thanks

If the judges are following the wording in the JO book exactly (which trust me, we all have our days) if the gymnast attains vertical, holds the handstand for the full one second and then falls and DOES NOT REPEAT she will receive a fall (.5) + .1 for the incomplete turn. (I want to be clear, that incomplete elements usually will receive more of a deduction, as in taking part of the value of the skill away...however, this particular element is laid out in the book as to exactly how to deduct if it is incomplete.)

If she repeats the skill, she will only receive the .5 deduction for the fall...not the .1 for the incomplete turn. (But remember she will receive form deductions (legs, feet, body, arms, etc.) on BOTH attempts.

Could the judges explain the deductions for the L6 dismount. If the kid does a handstand and then doesn't complete one or the other of the turns, how does this work? I have found this confusing to understand. For example the kid does a forward handstand, and does not make the turn, and comes back down on the beam. She then does side handstand, 1/4 turn. Or more likely she does forward handstand, turn side handstand, and comes down on the wrong side. Same scenarios as L4/5 above? What if she gets up and just repeats the 1/4 turn, i.e. starting from a side handstand? She would just get form deductions on that with no credit?

L6 dismount can be tricky.

Situation 1: Gymnast does a cross handstand, steps down, and kicks into a side handstand. I would take .1 for the missing turn (not completed in a HS position), .3 for the extra kick into the handstand, and any other form/holding HS deductions. Depending on how bad the first handstand was, you could also call it an incomplete HS and take a deduction for not getting to vertical.

Situation 2: Gymnast does a cross handstand, turns in HS, falls, then climbs back up and kicks up into a side handstand. I would take .5 for the fall and related deductions, but she completed the turn before falling, so I would not take .1 for an incomplete turn.

Situation 3: Gymnast does a cross handstand, turns in HS, steps down sideways, then kicks up into a side handstand. I would take .3 for the extra kick up, plus any other form/holding HS deductions.

Bringing this up for another question about this for the mom of one of DDs teammates. What if gymnast does first attempt, hits vertical, holds for 1 second and falls to the wrong side, THEN gets back up and does the exact same thing? What would deductions be (not including of course the ones you can't see without video)?

Thanks!

If a gymnasts does two identical attempts at the Level 4 or 5 compulsory dismount, where she hits vertical, shows a hold, but does not complete the dismount with a turn, she will receive a .5 fall deduction on both attempts and a .1 deduction for incomplete turn. Totaling 1.10 in deductions not including arms, legs, body, etc.

Curious what the deduction is in the Level 6 dismount if the gymnast does not hold the first hs for one second. In other words, she kicks into hs, immediately turns, holds 2 seconds and then dismounts. Is it only .1 plus any form deductions? What if she doesn't hold either for the required amount of time but makes the turns?

Thanks.

Curious what the deduction is in the Level 6 dismount if the gymnast does not hold the first hs for one second. In other words, she kicks into hs, immediately turns, holds 2 seconds and then dismounts. Is it only .1 plus any form deductions? What if she doesn't hold either for the required amount of time but makes the turns?

Thanks.

Here are the deductions for L6 beam dismount as listed in the JO page at USAG
Incorrect (staggered) hand placement in cross handstand 0.10
Failure to attain vertical Each HS - Up to 0.30
Failure to hold cross handstand 1 second Up to 0.10
¼ (90°) turn to side handstand incomplete Up to 0.10
Failure to hold side handstand 2 seconds Up to 0.20
1/4 (90°) turn off incomplete or overturned Up to 0.10
Failure to maintain straight body position Up to 0.20

Usually when a gymnast turns without holding for one second she has not completely attained vertical in her cross handstand and will end up with a the deduction of Up to .3 for not attaining vertical, in addition to the .1 for the hold and form deductions.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back